Sunday, August 3, 2014

Time To Think Christmas!


Yes, we know it's August, but the Roses are thinking about our annual Christmas stories posted all month long in December. And you know what that means--time to vote for your favorite first line! The line our readers choose will be the one we use to start all our stories. So please help us out by leaving a comment with your top pick!

1) She’d rather spend Christmas with the Grinch, Scrooge, and the Abominable Snowman all rolled into one.

2) She could only think of one thing more tempting than a plate of Christmas cookies.

3) The weather outside was frightful, but it beat standing under the mistletoe with him.

4) How could this possibly happen?

5) The box was small and square.

6) She'd never seen a Santa suit used in quite that way.

7) He stared at her tire tracks in the snow.

8) What in the name of Santa was that?

9) How was she to know harboring a reindeer was illegal in the county?

10) What was she supposed to do with a 6-foot elf?

11) The digital clock on the bell tower blinked December 31, but not a soul in town knew her name.

So, there they are eleven, fun opening lines. Which one is your favorite?

23 comments:

Diane Bator, Author & Book Coach said...

#3 The weather outside was frightful, but it beat standing under the mistletoe with him.

Susan Coryell said...

#6 She'd never seen a santa suit used in the quite.....etc.
Very intriguing!

Becky Mushko said...

#6 works for me, especially if #4 precedes it.

Ashantay said...

#6 definitely - I want to know more about that Santa suit and NOW.

Liz Flaherty said...

I like #5, and if the bell tower was blinking December 24, I'd like #11.

Patricia Kiyono said...

I like #1, but I agree with several others - #6 has all sorts of possibilities!

Kathy L Wheeler said...

These are all great, but I love #2!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

6) She'd never seen a Santa suit used in quite that way.

Lynn Crain said...

There are three of them I really like. Heck, let's be honest, they are all good. LOL!

Still my favorite one is this: 9) How was she to know harboring a reindeer was illegal in the county?

It makes me laugh and wonder where it's going.

Can't wait to see this story!

MJ Schiller said...

Agreed. Like them all! But my two favorites? 1) She’d rather spend Christmas with the Grinch, Scrooge, and the Abominable Snowman all rolled into one. And - 3) The weather outside was frightful, but it beat standing under the mistletoe with him.

Both are kind of antagonistic. Hmm... what does that say about me?

Brenda Whiteside said...

Great first lines. I guess I'll have to choose either 6 or 9.

Barbara Bettis said...

All are great lines :) But I have to go with # 9, although #3 and # 6 are fun.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

I like them all, but here are my 3 favorits.

#11 The digital clock on the bell tower blinked December 31, but not a soul in town knew her name.

#3 The weather outside was frightful, but it beat standing under the mistletoe with him.

#9 How was she to know harboring a reindeer was illegal in the county?

Linda Carroll-Bradd said...

I love #3, The weather outside... because the conflict is right there.

Kim Hornsby said...

I like the box was small and square but if this is a fun, Romance Christmas anthology I like the mistletoe one because it suggests and promises romantic conflict.
Kim

joyce said...

#6 It begs a description/answer and the choices are limitless

Hebby Roman said...

Usually, I don't go for the funny stuff, but I can't help but love #9!!! It's so unexpected and nutty. Makes me think of the tacky but crazy and lovable Christmas song classic of "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer." LOL
That's my vote!
Hebby Roman

Jannine Gallant said...

Update on the votes: 3 (mistletoe), 6 (Santa suit) and 9 (reindeer) are the top vote getters. 6 (Santa suit) has a slight lead. Keep those votes coming!

Alison Henderson said...

Since my first lines won the last two years, I didn't submit one this year. Does that mean I can vote? If so, I vote for #6. I love #9, but I'm not sure it gives each author as much leeway with her story as #6.

Jannine Gallant said...

As the reigning queen of 1st lines, you should definitely get a vote, Alison. I was wondering which one was yours, but none of them sounded like you!

Mackenzie Crowne said...

So many good ones here. I simply can't choose between 3, 6, and 9.

Vonnie said...

No. 7, followed by No. 5. I like to see a bit of intrigue - not have everything up front.

Jannine Gallant said...

Looks like #6 is the winner. Thanks for voting, everyone. Look for our Christmas stories in December!