I hate to be predictable, but a post on New Year’s Eve just has to be about resolutions, doesn’t it?
Five of My 2016 New Year’s Resolutions:
- Talk less, act more. I talk about doing stuff – learn to play the guitar, write something different, go ziplining, raise dwarf goats. I think 2016 needs to be the year to do instead of just talk about doing.
- Get involved in animal welfare. I often read about people who volunteer/work at animal sanctuaries. I find the work fascinating and want to get involved more than cutting and mailing a donation check. I’d love to spend some time at a big cat rescue or a wolf sanctuary. This might be the year to make more solid plans in this area.
- Write, write, write. I put this on my list every year as a reminder to keep at it. Writing doesn’t always offer huge rewards, but I generally feel good about doing it. As long as that is true, I won’t give up telling tales.
- Move. I’m fairly certain it’s time for a location change. I’ve done the suburban thing for the past forty-one years and it’s getting a little suffocating. I’d like to give the woods thing a go. I’d like to not see any neighbors for miles. I’d like to become a hermit. Being in nature always makes me feel great.
- Have fun. I’m super task oriented. I whizz around knocking things off my To Do List, but I would really love to have a To Have Fun List. It’s about time I let myself slow down enough to enjoy my family, my friends, and new activities. I don’t need to always be watching the time and making every damn minute productive. I could sit back now and then, with a glass of wine, and really take a time out instead of guzzling it because I’m too worried about what I have to get done. Things will get done when they get done, and that’s okay.
So naturally there’s about four billion other things on my list…because I love a To Do List as you’ve already read, but these are a good sample. I hope to make some headway on them in 2016 and start living more completely in the now.
The past is done. The future isn’t a guarantee. Now is where living happens.
How will you live in 2016?