Thursday, August 7, 2014

Lost in my world by Barbara Edwards



Barbara Edwards
Please don’t laugh. I can’t find my way out of a paper bag. I need to travel a route several times to recall it in any detail and Lord help you if you ask me to give you directions.
I can follow line-of-sight. If you point at a high hill or building and say go, I can find it. That’s one of the reason I disliked living in central Florida. No hills and few buildings over three stories high make for a bland landscape.
I do have a legitimate reason. I have a form of dyslexia in that I can’t tell my right from my left. Again, don’t laugh.
People tend to brush this problem off. Just look at your hand, right, left. Well since I truly don’t know that doesn’t help. What it did do was make me fail my driving test since the inspector said turn right at the light and I didn’t know which way to go. So I stopped. In traffic. He yelled at me. Sigh. 
The second time I had a female who said turn at the garage. Aha. Passed.
I’ve managed most of my life by pointing in the direction I need. Aggravates my husband who is an excellent driver and doesn’t think my problem is very important.
I’ve tried to explain, but to most of the world this is there in their brain. Right. Left.
A few years ago, my son held up his hands with the thumb out at a right angle. (Try this) The left hand forms an “L”. Wow. I didn’t know that. It didn’t solve all my problems since I still need to think about it. Look at hand, open brain, this means ‘left’. Left is that way.
Another side effect is I also  invert numbers, especially in a column. Makes adding a column of figures difficult so I didn’t work as a book-keeper very long.
Thanks goodness this has no effect on my writing skills. Here all I need to worry about is write, write, write. Tell me if you have a similar problem.

Please visit, friend or follow me. I love to hear from readers
Author Website: http://barbaraedwards.net
Ancient Blood http://on.fb.me/naHRY5
Authors Den: http://authorsden.com/barbaraedwards      

Coming soon from The Wild Rose Press
Ancient Curse, a paranormal romance
Evil never dies.  And this time it wants Rainie Gamble.  More than her life, it wants her soul.
The artifacts she handles come from every era and she can read their past with a touch.  After her Father’s deceit, she’d lost her beloved career until Thomas hired her to inventory his new estate. She is acutely aware these items ooze evil. Her attraction to Thomas grows despite her resolve to never trust again.
Thomas Broquette needed Rainie for more than her psychic ability. She could bring her father into his reach and Thomas needed him to return the stolen paintings in Mason’s estate. He needs Rainie’s help to destroy the evil things Mason left behind. Then he realizes he needs her for much, much more.
She needs to trust him despite his lie. Their love is her only hope of survival.


9 comments:

Leah St. James said...

I'd never heard of that form of dyslexia, Barbara. That must be so difficult. Truly. I have no excuse/reason for my lack of directional ability though. :-) I once got lost in my in-laws' neighborhood (where I'd been many, many times) because I walked in the opposite direction around the area. I had to ask some city maintenance workers to point me toward their street. (Sigh.) This was back in the dark ages of course...you know, before everyone had cell phones attached to a body part. :-)

"Ancient Curse" sounds terrific!

Jannine Gallant said...

I honestly have to think about it when someone says go left. It isn't an automatic reflex for me. And don't even get me started on north, west, etc. If someone tells me to go south at a certain point, I'd probably end up in Canada. You aren't alone in your directional challenge!

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Leah,
I've been told creative people are more apt to have this problem.
Hope you read Ancient Curse when its released.

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Jannine,
It is common to those of us who are creative. Must be a right brain left brain thing.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Gee, your post made me smile. I have to think before I say right or left. I know I hold a pencil in my right hand, so I think which hand holds the pen and go from there. I thought I was alone in this. And, yes, when we're in a car and Calvin asks me which way, he knows enough to give me time to look down at my hands before I reply. Great, helpful post to those of us who are challenged in this way.

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Vonnie,
It's odd how things we can accept as normal for us, are not in the larger world.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Too bad about the left, right dilemma. Glad you've figured a way to cope. I'm another one who has no clue of east, west, north, south. Nice to know I'm not alone in that. Thanks for sharing, Barbara.

Barbara Edwards said...

You're welcome, Margo.

Alicia Dean said...

I am a bit directionally challenged myself, but it mostly happens indoors. In hotels, I can't remember which direction to turn when I step off an elevator. In doctor offices, I can't recall how to get back to the check out desk. I'm not great outdoors, but for some reason, indoors is really a challenge. :) Ancient curse sounds fantastic. Congrats!