Sunday, November 25, 2018

The times they are a'changing ...

This has been an event-full year for me, with several milestones.

Hip replacement surgery in February: my first and only major surgery and stay in a hospital. I recovered nicely, but am reminded still that I'm getting older and it takes time to heal.

A visit to the RWA National Conference in July: I hadn't been to this conference for several years and it was fun to reacquaint myself with the professionals in the business. So much has changed that it was like a whole new experience.

Loss of a publisher: one of my publishers is folding up shop so I now have 5 orphan books to decide what to do with. I've always disliked the "business side" of this business, but now I really need to tackle that.

Retirement from my long-time job in October: I've been in the high-tech industry for all of my working professional life. I liked my job, I telecommuted fulltime (which was a gift), and I was paid well, but I just didn't have much enthusiasm for it anymore.

A new job starting in December: I accepted a part-time job as coordinator of all Master Gardener volunteers in our county. This is mainly organizational work because the volunteers do all the real work. I can pretty much set my own hours and will work several evenings and weekends. I warned them when I took this job that I'd do it for a few years, then I'd retire again -- so I view it as a temporary permanent job.

And of course, the writing: I've written three books this year (one that was 120,000 words long), and I had 2 books release. I plan on two books releasing next year, too, as well as those orphans I mentioned.

Now the last change: this is my final post on this blog. I've enjoyed my time with these ladies and I plan to stay in touch with them as best I can. For those of you who've followed along with us, I hope you'll keep an eye out for all of our works. We all write in different styles and genres, but at heart, we're all storytellers.

Have a great holiday season, and stay in touch!

J L
(jayellwilson.com or my Facebook page)

7 comments:

Leah St. James said...

Your new part-time job sounds ideal, JL! Wishing you much happiness and success, and many hours of writing fun!

Diane Burton said...

Congrats on your retirement and new job. I still can't believe that you wrote 3 books this year while holding down a full-time job. I'm retired and still can't write that many. Enjoy your new job and having more time to write. Like you, I'm sad to see this blog come to an end. Wait. An end means a new beginning. Here's to new adventures.

remullins said...

You have been through a lot this year! I am a bit jelly about your new job. It does sound ideal. And, I'm sure you'll soon find good homes for your book babies.

Jannine Gallant said...

JL, I applaud your motivation. Retirement didn't even last two months! I hope to stay in touch with you, too. Best of luck getting those displaced books back out there.

Margo Hoornstra said...

You’re still an inspiration. Congrats from me too on leaving the old and starting the new jobwise. Three books, you say? Amazing. Best of luck finding homes for all your many works. Yeah, we definitely need to stay in touch. All of us.

Andrea Downing said...

Good luck JL for all your endeavors in the coming year. Anyone who can write 3 books in one year with one of them at 120K words doesn't seem to need much encouragement--you'll obviously do well in 2019.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Of course your county needed the energizer bunny to keep them organized. There's your social outlet...excellent planning. So glad your orphans are under your care again! Keep in touch, JL.