Friday, November 16, 2018

Being Thankful by Diane Burton



This time of year, you’ll see many posts on being thankful. I hope you’ll indulge me with one more. I am so blessed with my family. Hubs and I were married on Thanksgiving Day. He says that’s how he’ll never forget our anniversary. 😊 After forty-six years, we’ve had many events—big and small—to be thankful for. We’ve had good times and difficult ones. Our relationship grew stronger during the difficult times. We don’t always see eye-to-eye on issues. Most of the time, we cancel each other’s vote. We enjoy different TV shows and movies. I love reading fiction. He doesn’t. However, he will read my books. His usual response: not bad or pretty good. Glowing praise from him. Together, we raised two children. Because of the demands of his job, he missed much of the children’s early years. He’s making up for that with our youngest grandchildren.



I’m so proud of our children. Despite the “normal” teenage conflicts, when I despaired that we’d ever have a good relationship, they’ve become loving, responsible adults with families of their own. I admire their parenting skills. Most of all, I’m thankful they found loving spouses who support them in so many ways.

There’s a saying “If I knew grandchildren were so much fun, I would’ve had them first.” I can say, with all certainty, that’s true. During a stressful time, we visited our daughter’s family in Indianapolis when our first grandchild was a baby. Rocking a sleeping baby brought so much peace and relaxation. My stress went away as I cuddled her. With each grandchild (five now), I’ve felt the same. Time disappeared. I had nowhere else to be. No chores to do. Just holding and rocking a baby was enough. I wish I’d known that when my babies were that small. I’m so thankful for the second chance.

While I’m thankful for living in a land of freedom, I fear for our future. In our efforts to protect our country, will our liberties be lost? Will Emma Lazarus’ poem on the Statue of Liberty (“…give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me…”) be a lie? I’m thankful my ancestors found refuge here.


As I give thanks, I must add the fabulous authors I’ve found here on this blog. We went from strangers to friends as we shared our lives, our sadness and triumphs. I’m grateful for the support they’ve given me, the attagirls and the commiserations. While the deadlines for twice monthly posts always seem to catch me unawares, I wouldn’t have missed this experience. These ladies made me stretch my creativity with the annual holiday stories. Prior to my first time, I hadn’t written a short story since high school (back in the Dark Ages). Talk about fear and trepidation! That was in 2013. Now, I look forward to writing a short story that begins with the same first line as the others. More than that, I look forward to reading the others’ stories. Despite the same prompt, we all have such different stories. I hope you enjoy them, too. My story will be up on December 8 – 10.

With this being my last post, I want to say how thankful I am for all of our readers. Enjoy the holidays.





13 comments:

Leah St. James said...

You're making me even more envious of the grandmas of the world, Diane! :-) I hope my day as a grandma will come. For now, we're 'grandparenting' Hercules the cat. He's a handful, very much like a toddler, although not so good about long cuddle breaks. :-) Enjoy that beautiful family on Thanksgiving, and happy anniversary!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Wonderful post, Diane. Made me think, much like you, of all the things I have to be grateful for. Loving children and grandchildren top the list, you and these ladies here on Roses of Prose are on it too. I'm also thankful both of us made it home, eventually, in the horrendous snowstorm last night. Nice talking to you.

Jannine Gallant said...

Happy anniversary! And thanks for sharing your thankful list. I'm very thankful for the friendships I've developed on this blog, too!

Diane Burton said...

Leah, sorry for making you envious. Cuddling the cat should count. Thanks.

Diane Burton said...

Margo, I'm glad, too. That drive was probably one of my worst. So thankful.

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Jannine. The friendships developed here will last a long, long time.

Alison Henderson said...

Ah, grandchildren. Maybe someday for me. The greatest treasure of the Roses of Prose has been getting to know this wonderful, supportive group of writers. I've loved our collaborations, Diane, and hope we find opportunities for more in the future.

Diana Stout said...

A great post! I enjoy all of your posts! Your last post? You're leaving the group?

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Alison. I, too, have loved our collaborations.

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Diana. Except for the holiday stories. I hope I'm not jumping the gun here, but we're not continuing the posts into 2019.

remullins said...

I am also filled with worry over the state of our nation. Our hard earned freedoms must be protected. Thanks for the heartfelt post.

Diane Burton said...

Robin, it's hard not to worry.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Diane, thanks for your thoughts. I've enjoyed our 'organ recitals' together...we women of a certain age HAVE to talk about our weird knees and lousy shoulders and all the other things that go wrong in our bodies. Part of the journey...good we can laugh about that particular part. You have such a lovely family...cherish them. Talk to you in another venue...promise!