Wednesday, November 14, 2018

A Selection of Poems by Christine DePetrillo

I often write poems when I'm experiencing writer's block. I'd like to share some with you today. Enjoy!



Here are two serious, nature-inspired ones:

LEAVES

Summer green
         fades,
autumn red
         flares,
to orange
yellow,
brown,
blankets the
         ground
awaiting the
         arctic veil
of
snow.
Fading sun
graying sky
frosty crispness
quiet hush

leafless trees
dark twigs
wait like soldiers
                  for the icy assault

flakes fall
frozen bullets
covering all in
         white
                  folds
                           of

                                  snow.


****


REFLECTION

Silent soldiers
standing tall in the ranks
needled arms raised
against the ambushing
sun

Autumn marches in
spraying its yellow, orange, brown
ammunition on the
vulnerable

Only the strong emerge
unscathed
true green
evergreen

Quiet river
remembers the battle
reflecting the victory
of the
pines


****
And here are two silly, food-inspired ones:

OH, THAT CRANBERRY SAUCE!

Wiggly
jiggly
red
sloppy
floppy
round

Sliding
off my
plate
headed
for  the
ground

Slipping
through
my fingers
landing
in a
mound

Grandma
steps
right in it
and it
doesn’t make
a sound

Sticky
icky
blob
three days later
when it’s
found.


****

SQUASHED

It’s orange.
It’s bumpy.
Mom’s is
Always lumpy.
It’s squash.

Serve it cold
Or serve it warm.
Either way
It’s got no form.
It’s squash.

Eat it now.
Don’t delay.
Best to get it
Out of the way.
It’s squash.

Take a drink.
Wash it down.
I’ll try my best
To hide my frown.
It’s squash.

Time for dessert.
Oh me, oh my
Cut me a slice
Of that apple pie.


Oh no…
it’s SQUASH!


Be sure to check here after Thanksgiving and into December for The Roses of Prose Annual Holiday stories! Free holiday cheer! Also, join the Facebook reader group I co-host with author Amanda Torrey at Small Town Hearts. We have a blast over there and we want you to be a part of it all!

Toodles,
Chris
www.christinedepetrillo.weebly.com

9 comments:

Leah St. James said...

These are fantastic, Chris! Thanks for starting my day with some reflection (glad I'm not living in the north anymore!) and a few laughs.

Christine DePetrillo said...

I spent the weekend playing in 6 inches of snow in VT and loved every minute of it! :)

remullins said...

How fun and clever. Enjoyed reading these with that all important first cup of coffee.

Jannine Gallant said...

You're very good at poetry, Chris! Cranberry blobs from the can are why I make my own. LOL No snow here yet, but the creek froze.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Beautiful and funny. Love these, Chris!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Very entertaining. Thanks for the morning lift. Our snow's coming and going. So beautiful...when you don't have to drive in it.

Rolynn Anderson said...

What a nice surprise. You are a poet! Thanks for the lovely images.

Christine DePetrillo said...

Glad I could entertain my fellow Roses today. I feel this selection represents the two sides of me - the rather poetic romance novelist/nature lover and the goofy fifth grade teacher...

Diane Burton said...

The poems are great. The last 2 made me laugh out loud. Great.