Wednesday, April 13, 2016

When life hands you lemons ..

... hmm. Make a Bourbon Sling?

Although the thought of lemons makes me a bit queasy. I had a brutal attack of food poisoning earlier this month. I did a Linda Blair (pop culture reference there) in a car right after eating and it Was Not Pretty. I spent 10 hours in the bathroom after that and ended up losing 6 pounds and 2 days of my life.

What did I learn from such an event?

Well, if that had happened to a much older me (say, 20 years), I'd be in the hospital. A sobering glimpse into my future, perhaps. If that happened to a much younger person (like a child), they'd be in the hospital, too.

What it taught me was that life is a gamble, no matter what. I could eat at a 5-star restaurant and possibly get sick, or at a dive bar where I've eaten dozens of time before (as I did this time). Sometimes you get that bad onion ring or slightly spoiled tartar sauce. It's a spin of the wheel who gets zapped. This time it was me.

Or as Auntie Mame would say "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-a-bitches are starving to death." Although the thought of a banquet still makes me feel a bit ... odd.

J L
(jayellwilson.com)


6 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Yeow! The good news is you survived, right? On the up side, isn't it amazing what the body can do to sustain itself? Hope you're feeling much better now!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Knocking on wood here, madly! Never have had a bout of food poisoning to the extent you had. Indigestion and queasiness after something not quite right, but far from what you experienced. I could definitely lose 6 pounds, but not that way :-) Glad you're better. And don' forget, it's something you can re-conjure in a novel if you need to. If you can. Okay...maybe that's pushing the positive too far.

Jannine Gallant said...

It's been one thing after the other with you, JL! Surely your bad luck has run it's course. Wishing you a positive upswing this Spring!

Brenda whiteside said...

I feel your pain. I've been there. Love that quote. I'll think I'll go over to FB and post it!

Susan Coryell said...

Ugh! At least food poisoning is short-lived (but deadly, as you point out). Not the best way to lose 6 lb, eh?

Diane Burton said...

Wow! Glad you're feeling (somewhat) better. I love Auntie Mame and all her quotes, esp. that one.