Thursday, April 7, 2016

Extreme Weather by Barbara Edwards



My crocus
After watching the snow fall the past few days, I laughed at the weather forecasters efforts to explain what they perceived as unusual. 
Extreme changes are common. The blizzard in April 1982 left us with enough snow to close the schools for days. My kids loved it.
The 1938 hurricane blew across New England with now warning. It devastated the area. I recall the hurricanes in the 1950s that flooded the New England area.
When Krakatoa blew up in the 1800s, the sound was heard three thousand miles away and the effects circled the globe. the debris in the upper atmosphere left the Northern hemisphere degrees cooler than normal. New England had no summer that year. 
It makes me curious. How much does a volcano erupting on the other side of the world affect us? 
I’m watching the eruption in the Aleutian Islands and the one in Mexico. Will we get more precipitation? I check the National wether forecast and sometimes one of the meteorologists will mention the eruption. 
I will have to follow for the next few weeks to see the effects. Is
anyone else curious?

Please follow, friend or like me. I love to hear from my readers.
Amazon Author’s Page http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003F6ZK1A


8 comments:

Leah St. James said...

Good question, Barbara! I hadn't thought about it, but I'll be watching now too!

Margo Hoornstra said...

When will man learn that we really do have NO control over Nature. As it should be. Interesting questions to think about.

Rolynn Anderson said...

...the flutter of a butterfly wing...Yup, effects are worldwide, which is why if we (for example) can't get smoggy cities in the U.S., China, India and elsewhere to control pollution, everyone suffers. We have not done a good job of managing what we CAN control...that's where I think we could make a difference going forward. Says the woman in California who takes quick showers to save water :-)

Brenda Whiteside said...

Your comment touches on the back and forth (I won't say argument) we have once in a while in our household. Hubby is a staunch climate change ranter while I'm less convinced. I definitely believe the butterfly wing effect, and that there are things man is doing to change our world for the worse. I also believe this earth is in constant flux with the disasters Barbara pinpoints and those too change our earth.

Jannine Gallant said...

Yes, nature can throw a curve ball that has a lot of impact. But I agree with Rolynn that we have to do a lot more to control the impact humans have on the environment. Our big El Nino winter ended up being only 95% of normal in the Sierras. Still, because we weren't at 50% of normal or less like we've been for the last 5 years, I fear people will start wasting water again like crazy. It's a vicious cycle, and we have to try to make a difference no matter what Mother Nature throws at us.

Anonymous said...

I was told a hurricane on the east coast can be started by a person kicking up dust in Africa. Remember the Mt. St. Helen's eruption--that effected things for days. We live on a strange planet!

Alicia Dean said...

Hmmm, I never knew the weather could be affected by things like that. Mother Nature is a complex and interesting lady. I guess we shall see. It's spring here, and we didn't have much of a winter, so no extremes for us in Oklahoma. Now, we're gearing up for tornado season!

Diane Burton said...

Mother Nature sure is fickle. Good post, Barb.