Sunday, April 17, 2016

I Love My Readers by Betsy Ashton

We all say that. We are grateful when one reaches out and shares a review, an e-mail, a picture. Today's post is all about you who have taken time to let me know how you enjoyed or didn't enjoy my first two books. Some sent photos from around the world. That's right. Mad Max has gone global.

My first picture comes from my heart daughter in India. Debarati translated Max 1 and read it aloud to her mother when her mother was ill. Debarati holds my book, while her mother looks down from her portrait. Her dear Maa passed a few months after this picture was taken. Both live in Kolkata.








Another friend, Prakash Brother, also lives in India. He's an actor who I met through Facebook. Actually, I met Debarati through a private FB group. I sent a copy to Prakash, because he's been very interested in my creative process. It is different from his, because he's in performing arts, while I'm in literary arts.




Add Ansu, who has the only copy (that I know of) on the African
continent. Another FB friend. we have been corresponding for more than a year. Ansu lives in The Gambia in West Africa.

Of course I have many readers in the U.S., the U.K, Canada and Australia. Oops, I nearly forgot those in New Zealand who've been kind enough to let me know they read my books.

I love all of my readers. I even love those who didn't like Max 1 and who will not likely read Max 2. For those who shared their reasons for not liking the book, I thank you. I know I disappointed you in ways I didn't intend. I'll try to do better.

Some of you will not like the manuscript my agent has out with several publishers. For those of you who thought Max 1 and 2 had too much violence, please stay away from the serial killer book. It's psychological suspense. It has violence. It has blood. And it's written from the point of view of the serial killer. She is a psychopath with her, that's right, her, own moral compass. Just thought I should warn you.

How do your readers let you know you've satisfied or disappointed them?

###

Betsy Ashton is the author of Mad Max, Unintended Consequences, and Uncharted Territory, A Mad Max Mystery, now available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

10 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

I've never gotten a letter or a photo. But I do read my reviews to see what my readers think. For the most part, they seem to like my books, although there are a few odd ducks who complain about various aspects. Sometimes their complaints help me see a problem. Sometimes they're completely out in left field, but I certainly appreciate all the people who take the time to post reviews!

Rolynn Anderson said...

I'm amazed you have these stories to tell, Betsy. I do have a few people who I correspond with about my books, but nothing as personal as your stories. And exotic! I've heard Indonesia and India read many books by U.S. writers. Cool! As to your question, positive responses about my work usually come to me when I send out a newsletter regarding a new release. You're making me think I should get newsletters out more regularly!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Betsy--I can see that I've had blog readers in India and other exotic places, but never received photos from them. I wonder how the guy in The Gambia came by his copy? did he say? doesn't look like he ordered it online via amazon! Interesting stuff.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

What great memories your readers are giving you. I get fan mail and I chuckle as I write that. Me getting fan mail. Too bizarre. Most of it comes from other countries, too, and I often think they are more accepting and less critical. While American readers nit-pick and moan and groan about things that don't amount to a hoot. A lovely post, Betsy. Oh, and writing from the pov of the antagonist sounds fun. I've thought of doing that should I change genres. I think of writing in a different genre or genres often. I must have a form of ADD. I bore easily. I'm ready to try something new and non-romantic, but that would mean creating a new identity, a new brand, a new fan base...and I lack that much energy. Calvin says to write the books for myself. His opinion might win out yet. Who knows?

Susan Coryell said...

I also love the international reader-set. Got a blog response from an Aussie regarding my Southern Gothic A Red, Red Rose: "Yeah--we have a South in Australia, too. I could relate!" BTW, I enjoyed your Max 1 and look forward to reading Max 2.

Leah St. James said...

Lovely post, Betsy! Without readers, where would we be? :-)

Margo Hoornstra said...

Lucky you, Betsy. Thanks for sharing. What a great gift to receive from precious readers.

Brenda Whiteside said...

How fun, Betsy. Your reaching out is truly amazing.

Alicia Dean said...

This is fantastic. How thrilling to know you've made such an impact. And, hey, you do not scare me off with violence...you had me at psychopathic serial killer! ;)

Diane Burton said...

How wonderful to hear from readers. My 1st fan letter (email) came after Switched was released in 2001 and wanted to know when I was going to give Scott & Veronese their own story. She had a loooonnng wait since Switched, Too didn't come out until 2011. I hope whoever she was enjoyed it.