Friday, April 8, 2016

HELLO EVERYONE!! by Andrea Downing

So there I was, innocently stepping into the hallway outside my apartment to put something in the garbage. And I tripped…
Snap! I broke my shoulder. In two places.  And then the call came…
Okay, so being asked to join The Roses of Prose wasn’t quite the kind of ‘call’ I’d been hoping for, but it is definitely a step in the right direction.  You know the call I wanted:  Steven Spielberg ringing to say Loveland would make a great television series and was I willing to dash off eight two-hour scripts. That sort of thing.  But this will do, and I’m very pleased to be here.  Except for the shoulder, of course.  Sort of makes typing difficult.  My two hands work perfectly fine, only trouble is that one of them is now located in the general area of my belly button. To see what I mean, bring one arm tightly down your side (it can be the less used arm—mine is, but give me a break—not THAT kind of break!—this is tough enough).  Now, the lower part of your arm with hand has to be at right angle across your stomach. Now tie it up nice and tight. And NOW see what you can do.  Try taking a shower and washing your underarms. (for those of you grossed out, I fling the washcloth….never mind)   How about getting your bra done up?  Washing your face…and rinsing it. (Warning: have mop to hand)  Flossing? Now for some more fun, throw Percocet into the mix. Once you discover what day it actually is, take that shower again, and when you realize, as I did, that you just put shampoo on your washcloth instead of body wash, try not to then put hair conditioner on the washcloth—as I did.
Life is full of surprises, and being asked to join the Roses of Prose was one of the better ones this week.  Thank you, ladies, I’m very pleased to be here. 
And for those of you out there who don’t know me, I write both contemporary and historical western romance (the apartment is in New York, the mind is in Wyoming).  You can also find me on my Website Facebook Twitter  Goodreads  and Amazon
 My latest, a novella Bad Boy, Big Heart, has just come out in an anthology titled Come Love a Cowboy. Only 99c for 8 stories by best-selling and award-winning authors, it’s available at http://www.amazon.com/Come-Love-Cowboy-Kathleen-Ball-ebook/dp/B01D5876UK/  


Here’s the blurb for Bad Boy, Big Heart :    
     When New Yorker K.C. Daniels heads to Wyoming for a summer job, she wants nothing more than to fit in with the staff of the Lazy S Ranch. Yearning to be independent of her mom and dad, and have a taste of the west before she starts her Master's degree, getting involved with a cowboy is the last thing on her mind—especially when she’s greeted with warnings about ‘Bad Boy’ Chay Ridgway.
     High school dropout Chay Ridgway sees summer as his time to be a rodeo star and win a girl in his life, while facing the responsibilities he has for his father. Although working to bring in cash to help his dad, he's never had a problem finding a woman who's happy to be that summer love—until K.C. Daniels appears on the scene.
     As two different worlds collide in a season that will end all too soon, is this going to be another summer romance or a love that will last for years?

And a little taste to tempt you:

“I…I’ve been told things about you. I don’t want to be a summer romance. And I do have to leave at the end of the summer, and the summer is fast fading.”
“It’s only June, K.C.” He hesitated before, “What sort of things were you told?”
K.C. looked around to make sure they weren’t being overheard. “That you like to…to date the girls who work in the office because we leave at the end of the summer, and it makes for a clean break.”
“True.”
K.C. blinked at his honesty.
“But it doesn’t mean it will always be the case.” Chay fidgeted on his chair. “What time do you get off? Let’s go for a ride. You do ride, don’t you?”
“I ride…English.”
“Oh, yeah. Bob said something about that. That can be fixed. So what time?”
“Five-thirty weekdays, Saturday noon as long as the check-outs are complete. Sunday is hit or miss; I work virtually all day until all the check-ins are done.”
“Hmmm. I’m taking out a pack trip tomorrow, back Friday. Meet me down at the barns as soon as you’re off Saturday.” Chay swung out of the chair and stood, then leaned in and stabbed one more bite of cheesecake. “Saving you calories,” he said. “You’d be amazed at what goes into this.” And with that, he stuffed the piece in his mouth and was off.
K.C. sat there, turning over Chay’s words in her mind: ‘It doesn’t mean it will always be the case.’ Yet the fact was, her Master’s degree meant two years…oh, what was she thinking? That was way ahead and, while she knew she was deeply attracted to Chay, it didn’t necessarily mean…. She stared at the remaining cheesecake on her plate, then pushed it away.
What was ‘the case’?





34 comments:

Alicia Dean said...

Oh no, you poor thing! How painful and damned inconvenient. So sorry! I'm thrilled you're here with us. Congrats on the new release, sounds like a great read!

Liz Flaherty said...

Oh, no! Happy healing, and watch that Perocet!

Brenda Whiteside said...

You make a broken shoulder funny, Andi, so I bet you heal quickly. Books sound great. Good luck.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Commiserating "OUCH" repeated many times, comes here. When I had my knees replaced, Percocet was my pain-killer, too. Muddled brain made strange things come out of my mouth, I am told...I thought I was acting normally. Oops. Be patient, try dictating your novel, and watch movies you love. We're glad to have you here among the wordy roses. Much luck with your new book!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the welcome, Alicia, Brenda, Liz and Rolynn. I am bearing up...I think. But given up on the percocet in favor of codeine--sleep better, less stupidity.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Oh my! When it rains, it pours, but I love your mistakes. They do happen to everyone. Congratulations on your book.

Jannine Gallant said...

Welcome Andi! I'm typing this in the position you described, just to feel your pain. LOL Not easy! Hoping you heal quickly!

Keta Diablo said...

Love the post, Andi! Although I can feel your pain from the shoulder incident despite your well-placed humor. Happy you're on the mend.

Thanks so much for the mention on Come Love A Cowboy. We enjoyed having you in the anthology.

Happy writing and reading, Rose of Prose. Lovely blog!

~Keta Diablo~
http://ketaskeep.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Vicki and Jannine, thanks for the commiserations--Jannine, I 've now discovered, having had to switch from my desktop to a laptop for traveling, that typing on the laptop is far more difficult because the keyboard is farther away. Wonder what you used in your experiment!
Keta, thanks so much for stopping by--have learned so much from being in that anthology, and have had a great time with great authors.

Tena Stetler said...

Oh, dear hope you are healing and the pain has lessened. Congrats on your new release, Bad Boys Big Heart. Best wishes for lots of sales!

Unknown said...

This is my first visit to this Blog- it's fantastic. Healing thoughts and if you haven't read Bad Boy Big Heart yet- it's a must read

Hebby Roman said...

Cute post, nice piece of writing, making your broken shoulder almost sound funny. And if you can do that (because it is SO NOT FUNNY), you're an awesome writer, as we all know.
I prefer codeine myself for my bad knees, doesn't muddy the brain so much. Pulling for you to get well soon but knowing it is going to take a time. Thank you for getting our anthology on such a great blogsite. And a big thank you to the Roses of Prose for hosting our anthology, too.

Patti Sherry-Crews said...

Andi, you made me laugh, but you sure do remind us how one random action liking taking out the garbage can alter you're life! I've enjoyed working with you in Come Love a Cowboy and look forward to reading your story.

Anonymous said...

Tena and Kathleen, thanks so much for your good wishes to heal. Hebby, I'm on the codeine now--gave up Percocet for reasons above--never much liked washing with hair conditioner. Patti, as you note, the wrong place, wrong time syndrome is alive and well. I've enjoyed working on the anthology with y'all, too.

Alison Henderson said...

Andi, I'm so sorry about your shoulder. What a miserable experience! In comparison, my broken foot is a walk in the park. I'm in real shoes now - I hope you're healing up quickly, too. I tried typing the way you described but failed miserably. You're clearly a tough Westerner at heart, if not by address.

Ashantay said...

Congratulations on your new blog site and best wishes on your book release! I hope your shoulder heals soon.

M. S. Spencer said...

Roses of Prose is wonderful--welcome & congratulations Andrea. M. S.

Anonymous said...

Alison, glad to know you're making a recovery. I fear mine is still a way to go.
Thanks Ashantay for your good wishes.
M.S.--I quite agree--the Roses of Prose ARE wonderful.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Welcome, Andi. I'm wincing with you about the shoulder. My joint(s) of choice are the knees. Horrible when they don't work without pain. Couldn't walk for a while, but at least I could type. Must be torture for you. Thanks for the entertainment at your expense. Best of luck with the set.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Sending you a warm welcome, Andi...and healing wishes. Percocet and I do not get along. It makes me kneel before the great porcelain god, handing on while the bathroom spins. Loved your excerpt. Do take care!

Jana Richards said...

Breaking a bone is so not funny. Glad you're keeping your sense of humor! Congrats on your debut with Roses of Prose.

Caroline Clemmons said...

Congratulations, Andi, on joining Roses of Prose with such esteemed authors. This is such a lovely blogsite. I loved your post, especially "apartment in NY, mind in Wyoming." I also enjoyed your novella in COME LOVE A COWBOY. I hope Steven calls soon with a lucrative offer.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Margo, Vonnie and Jana--all your good wishes go straight to my heart (via the shoulder of course)

Anonymous said...

Caroline, thanks for your kind words. I've actually seen Spielberg twice now, once outside a movie theatre here on Long Island, and another time in a canoe out on Georgica Pond, also here. I am waiting patiently for 3rd time lucky!

Allison Morse said...

Ow! I hope your shoulder heals quickly. Your book sounds great!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Alison. Everyone has been so kind!

Beth Trissel said...

Congrats on being a part of this great group of bloggers. So sorry about your shoulder. Your new book sounds great. I hope you get the call from the movie folk. :)

Anonymous said...

Beth, dreams do come true...

Leah St. James said...

Hi, Andi - Sorry to be late (I often am!) with my welcome and commiserations! Poor you! I broke my elbow years ago (dog-walking...twisted leash, twisted legs...crash) and I remember that awkwardness. The shoulder though...that sounds so much worse! I hope you heal quickly and will soon be back to showering in peace again!

Now...where in New York? I'm from Central Jersey and currently live in southeastern Virginia. Among the many, many things I love about the south, food is not one of them. I miss good pizza! I miss good bread! Cheese! Give me some decent cheese...please! :-)

Hywela Lyn said...

Congrats on your new release and I hope the shoulder heals soon!

Andrea Downing said...

Lyn, thanks so much for your good wishes. Leah--I feel for you. I'm out in East Hampton now but spend winter in the city--with all the delights Zabar's has to offer--their cheese hall alone, well, I'll send you a photo one day. Would you like a 'care package'?

Leah St. James said...

Andi, No care packages needed, but thank you for the thought! My husband and I think (fear?) our taste buds are beginning to adjust to the differences, and it might be worse to reawaken them to what we're missing! :D

Diane Burton said...

Even though I'm late, my welcome is sincere, Andrea. I am going to have to read your books. If they're as funny as your post, I know I'll enjoy them. Best wishes! Oh...I hope you're feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Diane, it's really kind of you to take the time to comment, even knowing that this post is way down the line--but happily, I did receive notice of it and can bask in the fact that you enjoyed it. Thanks!