Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Know Life by Brenda Whiteside

The way to know life is to love many things ~ Van Gogh

I started life as an artist. As far back as memory serves me, the need to fill empty white space with color drove me. But I wanted to fill that white space like Lautrec, not Van Gogh. Although, I like Van Gogh (so did Lautrec. They were friends), I much prefer Lautrec. When I think of his renderings, strong characters come to mind. Van Gogh brings to mind images of landscapes.

Eventually, after a creative writing class, filling white space with words satisfied me more painting. I prefer creating character driven novels so Lautrec and I are still kindred spirits.

Lautrec and Van Gogh both lived rather tortured lives. The fact the quote is attributed to Van Gogh is touching. I'm guessing he loved and gave love far more than he received. But if you are familiar with his work, you can see he had to have loved many things to create such beauty.

Here are ten of my loves - and I'm concentrating on "things" rather than people.
1. the sound of rain on the roof
2. the taste of a full flavored cabernet
3. mountains
4. a baby's laugh
5. denim
6. 60's rock and roll
7. an Arizona sunset
8. the smell of coffee and bacon
9. a road trip
10. flowers blooming in the garden

What do you love that will lead you to know life?

Brenda's latest release is Southwest of Love and Murder, book two in her Love and Murder Series.



Visit Brenda at www.brendawhiteside.com.
She blogs on the 9th and 24th of every month at http://rosesofprose.blogspot.com
She blogs about writing and prairie life at http://brendawhiteside.blogspot.com/
 


11 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Well, Brenda, I love your list. All of it. Except moscato or Chardonnay, and water. I love to be around water. Other than that, we're good. ;-) best of luck with your books.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Good Morning, Margo!

Jody Vitek said...

The only thing on the list to change for me, the 60's would become the 50's, but some of the music spills into the 60's. Have my parents to thank for that.

Brenda Whiteside said...

I have my love of old country-western to thank my parents. Thanks for commenting, Jody.

Joanne Guidoccio said...

Hi Brenda, Great list! Thanks for reminding me of Arizona sunsets. Simply breathtaking!

Brenda Whiteside said...

Thanks, Joanne. Nothing like them!

Jannine Gallant said...

I like your list. Would have to add walking in the woods with my dog. It's my thinking and plotting and enjoying nature time.

Calisa Rhose said...

That's a fabulous list Brenda. I love Van Gough. There's just something about the helter skelter of his art that attracts me. Probably the non-perfectionism because I can let my OCD go when I look at his work and know I can't change a thing, so just enjoy it. :)

Brenda Whiteside said...

Thanks for commenting , Calisa. And what a wonderful theory.

Alicia Dean said...

Great post, great list. I'm not much into art, and I also like the 50's better, but I love many things on your list. It's kind of fun to list 'things' that we love. I might give that a shot. I also LOVE old country and western music. But, our ideas of 'old' might differ. I'm talking Hank Williams Sr, Johnny Horton, Ernest Tubb, etc. :)

Brenda Whiteside said...

Yep, Alicia. That's the country western I'm thinking of too. Add Patsy Cline to the list. I grew up listening to Ernest Tubb and Sr.