Friday, October 28, 2011

Guest Chris Redding Talks About Scary Stories

Chris Redding

I like scary stories. Edgar Allan Poe, Ambrose Bierce. I’m not a diehard horror fan, because I think there is too much gratuitous grossness in them. But give me something that makes my skin crawl and I’m all over it.

So of course when I stumbled upon www.weirdnj.com I was in hog heaven. There are scary stories right in my state.

There is supposedly a ghost of a little boy in Atco, New Jersey. http://www.weirdnj.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=189&Itemid=28 You can only see him at midnight and you have to do some things to actually get him to appear. I have goosebumps just reading it. Not sure I’m brave enough to go there.

In Mount Holly, NJ, there is a former prison now operating as a museum. Apparently the Boston Strangler once was held there before he committed those crimes. http://www.weirdnj.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=28 I think the story about who designed it was also interesting.

And here’s one about where the Bruno Hauptmann trial took place. http://www.weirdnj.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=28

I actually have some person ghost stories. I had a friend in junior high who had a ghost in her house. The family named him Luigi. I definitely felt a presence in the house, but there was no threat. He would open doors for you.

Another time I was taking a short cut from school to work through Ridley Creek State Park in Pennsylvania. It was a bright sunny day. I’d never taken this route and thought it would be enjoyable. It was until a crossed a bridge over what I think was a reservoir. And all of a sudden I had this sense of terror. I knew people had died on that bridge. I never investigated further and I never crossed that bridge again.

Years later, my family and I took the haunted tour of the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California. They tried to make it spooky, but to me none of it was scary until we entered a state room. I turned to my husband and said that someone died there. Sure enough the tour guide said that it was rumored that someone died in that stateroom and that a ghost haunted it.

I hope that’s enough scary stuff to get you through your day.
Thanks for stopping by.
cmr

You just can't hide from the past...

Mallory Sage lives in a small, idyllic town where nothing ever happens. Just the kind of life she has always wanted. No one, not even her fellow volunteer firefighters, knows about her past life as an agent for Homeland Security.

Former partner and lover, Trey McCrane, comes back into Mallory's life. He believes they made a great team once, and that they can do so again. Besides, they don't have much choice. Paul Stanley, a twisted killer and their old nemesis, is back.

Framed for a bombing and drawn together by necessity, Mallory and Trey go on the run and must learn to trust each other again―if they hope to survive. But Mallory has been hiding another secret, one that could destroy their relationship. And time is running out.

6 comments:

Brenda Whiteside said...

Chris, thanks for the scary stuff! And your book sounds intriguing.

Barbara Edwards said...

Thanks for the great links. I love reading that stuff,too. Looking forward to reading your book. Nice excerpt.
Barbara

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

How nice to have you here today on the Roses of Prose, Thanks for being out guest and giving us our daily dose of "spook," and for introducing us to your book.

Jannine Gallant said...

Some great, shivery tales, Chris. Your book looks like an action packed thriller!

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Chris,
Nice to see you here. You just about scared the wits out of me. Glad it isn't night time or I wouldn't be able to sleep.

Cheers

Margaret

Colleen Connally said...

Chris,
Thank you for sharing your work here on Roses. Oh, I love Edgar Allan Poe. His works stay with you. Your book looks like a great read.