Thursday, June 7, 2018

I like deadlines by Barbara Edwards


When I worked in the business world, I liked having a dead-line.  It kept me focused and goal oriented. Then I became an author and loved not having a deadline. My muse flowed as it wanted and I followed.


Now I’m on a writing deadline and all my  business skills have returned to life.
I took the number of words needed and divided that number  by the days I had to write. I purposely left Sunday free. a day off can clear your head.


The amount I needed to produce was within my regular amount. Wow. I had a handle on what I needed to do. 


I have written the pages I planned so far in the timeframe.


I’m not going to get cocky. Life has a way of tripping you when you’re looking the other way.


I don’t know how many people need a deadline. I do need someone to encourage me. Is that the same thing?


When I finished this manuscript and submit it, I will celebrate. 


So will my editor  and publisher, I hope.


And you will all get the opportunity to read it.


Please follow, friend or like me. I love to hear from my readers.
Amazon Author’s Page http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003F6ZK1A



9 comments:

Leah St. James said...

There's a lot to be said for deadlines, Barbara. I need them, too, as much as I dislike them. But I find that if they're self-imposed deadlines, I take them less seriously (or not at all seriously). I've been writing enough in the last several months (yay!) that I can start to think about specific project goals again. The key for me will be taking myself seriously! Thanks for sharing the stunning photos!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Those photos are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing them. I’m like you, had my head down and my mind focused to finish the many tasks at hand on a deadline. When I worked for somebody else, that is. Now, again, like you, I have to use those old self-imposed deadlines to finish a project. And I wouldn’t have it any other way. LOL

Rolynn Anderson said...

Great collage to go with your deadline theme. Nothing like a cemetery to jolt us...obits remind me of the end game, too. Do you have a number of books you want to write, Barbara, or are you one of those with stories swirling in your head? 20 is my number...I'm at 9. Gotta get crackin' :-)

Brenda Whiteside said...

I'm goal oriented and have my to-do list everyday. I've found I usually issue myself an unreachable deadline. I'm taking a break from deadlines until July. This time around, I'll be more reasonable. I hate to revolt on myself!

Jannine Gallant said...

I like deadlines. Generally I shoot for turning manuscripts in earlier than the actual publisher deadline. When I don't have one, I tend to slack off. Since my latest book is not yet contracted, I had a hard time fighting my way through the sagging middle and had to crack the whip on myself toward the end to meet my self imposed deadline. Best of luck with your project!

Alison Henderson said...

Giving myself a reasonable deadline was the only way I finished my last book. Congratulations on your progress!

remullins said...


Deadlines have their place but I need the flexibility of working when I can.

Diane Burton said...

Ditto what RE said. I set what I thought were reachable goals for 2018. Life got in the way and I'm behind. But just shooting for a goal is an incentive in itself. Love the pictures, Barb.

Alicia Dean said...

I love deadlines too. I'm too much of a procrastinator without them. Enjoyed the post...and the pics!