Monday, October 2, 2017

Revamping Covers...and Adding a Personal Touch ~ by Jannine Gallant

By now you probably all know Kensington is repackaging (their word) my BORN TO BE WILDE series. I'm still waiting for them to finish the final cover before all four will go live on retail sites. I posted here before about branding, and how they're ditching the couples on my covers to play up a more suspenseful background with a shadowy face. These books haven't sold nearly as well as my WHO'S WATCHING NOW series with their headless, hot men and rustic backgrounds. I have to wonder if the covers have anything to do with it. The books simply don't look like romantic suspense.

So, last week I conducted a poll on Facebook to ask whether readers/authors preferred scenery only to couples on romantic suspense books. One hundred percent of those who responded said they preferred scenery. Alrighty then... If Kensington could repackage one of my series, why couldn't I revamp my self-published suspense series, SECRETS OF RAVENSWOOD, to get rid of the couples? As the idea took hold, I found myself spending way too much time searching iStock Photos for likely cover contenders when I should have been writing.

Determined to jump into this new project and end the hours of fruitless searching, I contacted our very own Alison Henderson, who had created the original covers. She was game. Yippee! We threw ideas back and forth, trying to find three images that conveyed the essence of the stories, had a suspenseful vibe, and also looked right together. The cover image I'd chosen for SHE'LL NEVER REST was very cool on it's own, but didn't mesh with the other two. None of the other graveyard images (this book has a bit of a ghost story in it) thrilled me. However, I'd taken a picture of a tiny, deserted graveyard in my old hometown of Gasquet a couple years ago. Why not use it for my book? Holding my breath, I sent it to Alison. She thought it would work. Double yippee! She had to do some editing on the lighting to get the right effect, but we were both pleased with the finished product.

I can't tell you how fun it is to have a place I've hiked to a gazillion times, one that brings back great childhood memories of riding my bike through the woods, as a cover for one of my books. For those of you who have creative license when it comes to book covers, you might consider using something with a personal connection.

And now...drum roll...check out the results of my hours of photo browsing and Alison's editing genius. I can't thank her enough for turning my wishy-washy vision into stunning, professional covers! I love them all!



Three girls witness a murder and vow never to tell what they saw. But when the body turns up years later, the killer may silence them…for good. Buy it now on Amazon.


When a genealogist is hired to research the Nash family tree, will she find love with her employer's grandson...or will the past come back to haunt them? Buy it now on Amazon.



Will two people with tragedy and secrets in their pasts find happiness...or will a threat neither anticipated jeopardize everything they hold dear? Buy it now on Amazon.

FYI, I've lowered the price on the first book in the series, WE'LL NEVER TELL, to .99 cents. These are novella length, standalone stories featuring three childhood friends, the men they love, and a mountain town filled with secrets. Both the romance and the suspense should keep you turning those pages!

So, what do you think? Did Alison and I do a great job? Do these covers shout romantic suspense?

13 comments:

Leah St. James said...

Well first...I LOVE the new WILDE series covers (I can't remember if I've seen them all), but I'm astounded about your poll results! Although since I'm a romantic suspense reader, and I love the landscape backgrounds, I shouldn't be! The new covers you and Alison cooked up are fabulous!! They definitely say suspense to me. I'm going to check them out! Good luck with the "repackaged" series!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Those are some pretty fabulous covers. Nice work, Ladies. But then we've come to expect that from the two of you. LOL I think one of the reasons for the poll results is that couples on a cover takes away from the reader's imagination. When I have an idea of what a character looks like, I don't want someone else's idea getting in the way of my imagination. As always, best of luck.

Jannine Gallant said...

Leah, you've seen 3 of the new Wilde covers. Still waiting on #4. I'm glad you think these look suspenseful. It's not that easy to find fall or snowy woods photos that aren't simply pretty. That suspense element in the scenery was a challenge.

Thanks, Margo. Alison and I work well together! Yes, the people on covers never look the way an author (or reader) imagines. Used to be, publishers said people on covers sell books, but I think that trend is changing for romantic suspense.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Wow! Nice job, Jannine and Alison. I've always thought an apt title of a book with a mood-setting scene, makes the genre of the book obvious to the reader. All three covers prove that. Well done!

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks, Rolynn. We were both very pleased with the results!

Alison Henderson said...

I was so pleased to be able to work on these with you. You picked terrific images! I hope you see a nice bump in sales for these great stories.

Jannine Gallant said...

I hope so, too, Alison. If I do, I'll report back. Covers are definitely one piece of the "what sells books" puzzle.

Patricia Kiyono said...

I LOVE these covers! going right now to buy the first one.

Jannine Gallant said...

That's what I like to hear, Patty!

Brenda whiteside said...

You two did a fantastic job! The feel of the covers really drew me in.

Jannine Gallant said...

Good to know, Brenda!

Alicia Dean said...

I thought I commented, but I think that was on the FB post. :/ LOVE these covers. The new ones are fabulous and really draw me in. Definitely suspenseful. Kudos to you & Alison!

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks, Ally!