Friday, October 27, 2017

Questions We Love From Readers by Betsy Ashton

Don't you just love the various questions we get from our readers? Where do you get your ideas? What is your favorite book? What is your favorite character? Are you in any of your books?

I think we are all in every character we create, don't you? Not all of us in each one, but a bit of us, to be sure.

Take my Mad Max character. I don't look anything like her. She's short, athletic, blond. She's much younger than I am. She's ever so much richer that I am. But, she's snarky. Anyone who knows me knows I love a good snark at the appropriate or inappropriate time. We're both strong-willed, brook no nonsense, stand true to our beliefs, and will fight to the death for our friends and family. Maybe a bit of me is in Mad Max, but more of her is a composite for several women I know, and several I want to know.

I had an actress in mind when Max came into her full-throated self. A strong actress who also puts up with no stuff from anyone. I won't tell you who she is, but she's been on television and in the movies for many years. Care to guess?

My latest book will be formally released on Halloween. It's called Eyes Without A Face. I hope to goodness I'm not the main character. Why? Because this is a girl you don't want living next door. You first meet her when she introduces herself:  "No matter what anyone says, I wasn't born a serial killer. I don't carry a sociopath gene, a psychopath gene, or even a serial killer gene. No such thing."

She is a serial killer, a most unreliable narrator. Unnamed and relatively faceless, she tells her story in first person singular. Before you ask, it was darned creepy getting into the head of a psychopath, who lived in my head on and off for three years. Not content with revealing her narcissistic personality disorder, she had to display psychopathic tendencies, only to rip them away and deny she is indeed a psychopath. See what I mean about being an unreliable narrator.

Unnamed, That Thing, her childhood name, leads the reader along a series of different paths. Just when the reader thinks she has That Thing figured out, That Thing does something to upset all assumptions. She lives by her own code of ethics. Yes, serial killers can have codes of ethics. Warped, maybe, but codes nonetheless.

I don't think That Thing is me. I haven't killed anyone, although there are a few people who might make it onto a wish list. I killed them in the pages of Eyes. That Thing is a feminist; so am I. She wants equal acknowledgment that a woman could be a serial killer, even though most are men. Why not a woman, she asks more than once, only to be dismissed by the men she works with.

That Thing is loyal to herself. And she doesn't tolerate people who take advantage of weaker people, particularly women, children, and the elderly. If they fall into her sights, well, they might meet a particularly gruesome and satisfactory ends. I've met people I'd like to see done in and meet a particularly gruesome and satisfactory ends. I haven't acted on my impulses; I left that to That Thing.

So, am I in my characters? Yeah, kinda. Are you in your characters, even those that are unsavory?

6 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

I think you're right about bits and pieces of our characters showing our personality traits. I have a few creepy villains, but yours wins. Best of luck with sales for The Thing, Betsy!

Alicia Dean said...

I agree, I have some of myself in my characters. Even the serial killers. :) Yes, I love the reader questions. As a reader myself, I want to know the same things from my favorite authors. Wow...your book sounds nice and creepy. Just my kind of read.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Wow, Betsy, you've stretched yourself with this book. I'm watching the series Mind Hunter on TV, first season, I think. Very interesting, but creepy drill-down on what makes a serial killer. This research began in the 70's according to this show...and we're seeing how two agents (based on real events) began to understand how serial killers went about their 'work.' Your book sounds like an episode on the program! Good luck with That Thing!

Diane Burton said...

I'm not sure I could write from a psycho's POV. I give you a lot of credit, Betsy, for doing it. My book group chose my book Switched to read for this month. They asked the most interesting questions, among which was if the characters were modeled on friends or family. I unconsciously take bits & pieces from people I know. Myself? Don't I wish when my heroines are younger, prettier, wittier, with a bit of snark. They always think of a smart comeback. Me? About an hour later. Good luck with That Thing!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Wow! You sure did stretch on this one, I should say That Thing. Creepy for sure. Darned right why not a woman? Our battle cry for how many years now? Too many. Nothing wrong with snark either. I think we all write what we know, and that includes the characteristics we give to the people we create. Best of luck!

Leah St. James said...

Love the concept of the new book, Betsy! Can't wait to read it! I think every writer incorporates parts of him/herself into a character. I don't know how you can't and still have a realistic character. I'm also watching Mind Hunter (about the early days of the FBI's behavioral science unit, what I think must be the start of profiling), and it is fascinating. That Thing sounds fascinating too!