Monday, September 17, 2012

Going Indie

Last year at this time, Ruth Cardello was a guest blogger on Roses of Prose. I read her post with interest. Ruth talked of her experience of going Indie and how she went about it. I went to her blog and followed her suggestions.
Beautiful Ireland!
Anyone want to guess where I got inspired for my next book?
Why would I even consider going Indie?
I’ll step back a tad. When I began to write, I hadn’t a clue what I was doing. I was (and still am) extremely native. I was under the mistaken impression that when you became a writer that’s all you did-write. I hadn’t a clue when I got my first acceptance letter what the world of publishing entailed. It didn't dawn on me I was only a small little fish in a large ocean.
My concentration when I first started to write was to get my book published. It was only afterwards that I discovered the other part of being an author-promoting. I found promoting my largest challenge. The challenge of getting your book read…
The answer to that came in Ruth Cardello’s post. Give a sample of your work away. Now when I read that I was like ‘Are you crazy?’ Do you know how much time and effort it takes to write a book? But looking over the dismal sales of my other books, I thought to myself what do I have to lose?
In November, 2011, I released my first attempt as an Indie- Whispers of a Legend, Part One- Shadows of the Past choosing to write under a pen name, Carrie James Haynes and yesI gave it away. I discovered for the first time readers, not only family and friends, were reading my book.
Since my first release with Shadows of the Past last November, I have released the next two installments of Whispers of a Legend saga—The Path Now Turned and Vision of Destiny. I also have released a backlist book previously titled Dreamwalker now Dreamscape. In August, I released the second book of my Winds of Betrayal Series, Ruse of Love.
As with any venture, there have been ups and down. Being an Indie writer is a challenge. My challenge with becoming Indie—my release Daughter of Deceit- now under the title of Seductive Secrets by Colleen Connally. Besides that I do love my new pen name, Colleen Connally, this book has been a life lesson. I’m not going to go into specific particulars, but before I released Daughter of Deceit I had never in my life heard of trolls. I have now. But I’m a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. As I said, life lesson.
On a positive note between its free days as Daughter of Deceit and Seductive Secrets being offered free, it’s had over 100,000 downloads!  100,000 readers have downloaded one of my books! I have also sold more books than I have in the past.
So what is the difference becoming an Indie.
Support. The world of Indie authors is filled with support. Most Indie authors support each other actively. Also, there are so many blogs and websites that offer free promotions for Indies.
Control. There are no more rejection letters. There is no more waiting months to hear whether it’s a go with your book. Now I am in total control over what I publish. Cover. Edits. Content. It’s on me. (This I will say to anyone that is considering going Indiefinish your product. Readers expect Indies to be just as polished as the traditional books released.)
Money. I’ve made more money being an Indie. Obviously it still depends on selling your book, but you make a larger percentage.
Ease.  Publishing your book has been made easy between Amazon- Kindle Direct, Barnes and Noble-Pubit, Smashwords, Lulu, Kobo… it will give you a complete outline on how to publish your book.
Important to note- If you’re interested in going Indie, do your homework. Remember nothing good comes easy.

So besides my semblance of advice todayI have a few free books for you.
Whispers of a Legend, Part One-Shadows of the Past by Carrie James Haynes
FREE everywhere!

So begins the legend...Whispers of a Legend saga. Kela Calledwdele was born with a destiny, a Euchoun with only one purpose in life...to protect. Torn between two worlds, Kela soon discovers she is the hope of both. Now she must find the courage to face the destiny fate has dictated to her.

AMAZON, BARNES AND NOBLE

Seductive Secrets by Colleen Connally
FREE everywhere!

Someone wants Alyce Hythe dead…

Shunned from London society for being the daughter of England’s most notorious spy, Alyce Hythe desires only to clear her father’s name. For years, she has been hidden away from all prying eyes, given a new identity and told to forget who she was. But strange things have been happening causing old rumors to once more be whispered. Long has Lord Julian Casvelyn lived with guilt brought on when his brother was murdered by England’s most infamous traitor. But one eventful night has changed everything Lord Julian believed about his brother’s death. Never did he suspect the woman he has just saved from certain harm is the daughter of that man. Now Julian is caught in midst of a conspiracy and desire for that woman. Thrown together by fate, the two search for answers long denied them and along the way discover a love that can free them both.


AMAZON, BARNES AND NOBLE

SPECIAL Today and tomorrow only- RUSE OF LOVE by Jerri Hines
FREE on Amazon!

The tides of war have shifted. When all eyes turn south, Doctor Jonathan Corbett finds himself once more thrust into the war’s turmoil. On assignment from General Washington, the dashing doctor discovers his mission has taken him straight into a conflict where the British are not the only ones to be feared.

Rebekah Morse has no time to contemplate the exploding war around her. Caught up as a pawn in a deadly conspiracy, she finds her only hope lies with her old friend, but things have changed since they last saw each other.

Yet destiny has not intervened in their lives without cause. Rebekah’s strength, courage, and breathtaking sensuality sets within Jonathan a desire he swore never to feel again. When Rebekah’s life is threatened, Jonathan is determined to save the stubborn woman whether she wants to be saved or not. Now Jonathan and Rebekah must face the perilous threat together—only to discover a passion they never imagined...


AMAZON
FREE TODAY AND TOMORROW!


Enjoy! Have a good one! Keep reading!









6 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

The way you present the world of Indie, it is definitely something to look into. Your books look great!

Colleen Connally said...

Margo,

I think it depends on your comfort level. But for me personally like being an Indie...I like the authors I've met, the readers, and I don't have to write anymore query letters...

Jannine Gallant said...

I think the best part would be not having to write a sysnopsis! Your advice and learning experience has been extremely valuable to me. I intend to persue an indie adventure as soon as I get the books ready. And yes, it will be a series and the first one will probably be offered for free. As you say, what do we have to lose! Thanks for sharing with us, Jerri.

Colleen Connally said...

Jannine,
I know you'll do great. I look forward to your series!!!

Anonymous said...

Good post. Congratulations on your number of downloads. That's amazing! I'm new to self-publishing, still learning as I go and trolls is something I still don't know much about. But along with promoting,I try to fit in as much reading of the Indie world as possible. I find promoting to be a bit overwhelming at times,even though I know it has to be done. Much success to you and thanks for sharing :)

Colleen Connally said...

Amber,
Thanks so much for the kind words. You're doing a great job. Love your books! Thanks for dropping by!