Thursday, March 24, 2016

MAKE A PLAN AND HEAR GOD LAUGH by Brenda Whiteside

My son was the first one to spout this at me: Make a plan and hear God laugh. I've repeated this to myself many times over the years. It's appropriate for my current situation.

I decided to Google the words and see where they originated. I should've known...Woody Allen is attributed except his words were "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans." I love Woody Allen humor. As a person, well, I'll leave that alone, but his movies have always entertained me.

What I find even more humorous is all of the analysis his words have spawned. There are whole articles written on them and some are quite critical. They tear apart his original statement, dissecting all eleven words as if Woody had implied some deep psychological or philosophical wisdom. Maybe I don't see it that way because I've never applied them to life-threatening moments in my life. If a loved one is sick or teetering on the edge of disaster, his words do not come to mind. Personally, I don't think Woody meant them that way. I don't believe God is just sitting on the edge of his seat waiting for us to think we've got life nailed and then he roars because  he's in control and stirs up trouble.

Months ago friends from Minnesota took us up on an invitation, and they're coming for a week to visit. I am so happy. We haven't seen them in three years. And the timing was perfect. I thought. Then...found out my latest novel is releasing that week, we need to get the farm ready to sell, my son and family are moving to Colorado that week, and my mom has a medical test. See? He's chuckling. 

Brenda and her husband are gypsies at heart having lived in six states and two countries. Currently, they split their time between the prairie in Northern Arizona and the RV life. At home or in the RV, she spends most of her time writing stories of discovery and love entangled with suspense.

Visit Brenda at www.brendawhiteside.com.
She blogs on the 9th and 24th of every month at http://rosesofprose.blogspot.com
She blogs about life’s latest adventure on her personal blog http://brendawhiteside.blogspot.com/
Amazon Author Page: amzn.to/1THrngg
Goodreads Author Page: bit.ly/1U1lDxo

20 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Love the picture! I've been planning to finish the wip for a few months now. Except I've been dodging so many obstacles I feel like a pinball gone wild. What doesn't (you know) makes you stronger.

Brenda Whiteside said...

You have that right, Margo.

Nancy Dow said...

Here we go again...now both our sons will be in Colorado!! When I want to feel like my life is under control, I just need to read your blog. LOL Enjoy every second with them all :))

Brenda Whiteside said...

I know! Isn't it weird? Oh, and thanks a lot!! LOL

Jannine Gallant said...

Just when I was doing a happy dance because Tara had a ride back to Berkeley after spring break, her ride's plans changed... Sigh. Mom, the eternal chauffeur. Sometimes it's the little things that make you crazy...

Brenda Whiteside said...

Don't you know, Jannine!

Anonymous said...

Brenda I think the Woody Allen saying is his interpretation of 'Man Proposes, God Disposes' attributed to a proverb in translation from "The Imitation of Christ" by the German-born Thomas à Kempis (c.1380-1471. There are several different versions but, yup, we make plans and stuff happens...(she said sitting here nursing her broken shoulder)

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Great post. I love the pic. I've found myself in that same position several times a day. Plans do turn awry. Life gets complicated in a heartbeat. And, let me tell you, as we age we're less likely to enjoy rolling with the punches. I don't handle surprises well. LOL

Brenda Whiteside said...

Andrea, yes, one article I skimmed did attribute it to the bible too. Hey, take care of that shoulder.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Vonnie, glad I'm not the only one that's rolling less willingly these days!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Andi, so sorry to hear about your shoulder! And thanks for the history of the saying. Brenda, I agree in the looser interpretation...I am less than a speck of sand in the cosmos...when a wind blows, I'll likely be flying somewhere I didn't plan to blow. My thought=enjoy the ride :-)

Brenda Whiteside said...

LOL, Rolynn. So true.

Alison Henderson said...

Lance is moving again? It sounds like things are in flux for your whole family. I love that quote, whoever came up with the original idea. We persist in making plans because we can't help ourselves, but if we don't have the ability to bend with the wind, we'll break. Good luck. I know you'll come out on top - you always do!

Brenda Whiteside said...

Yes, again. The job in Phoenix that looked so great had security issues. With a family, the risk wasn't worth it no matter the money. I know they'll love Colorado. It is much more their style than Phoenix.

Alicia Dean said...

Oh my, Brenda. Sounds like you'll have your hands full. LOL. I love the pic. :) I love the quote too, and people need to lighten up! I think it's pretty simple, sort of like 'the best laid plans go awry' quote (not verbatim, mind you). Good luck with all your stuff. And, congrats on the release!

Hebby Roman said...

Great quote. Interesting discussion. Used to be a Woody Allen fan until he married his adopted daughter.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Alicia, thanks. I'm going to have a great time with the friends.

I hear ya, Hebby.

Leah St. James said...

I love this! Kind of a Murphy's Law angle, too. I'm with you. Just enjoy the quote for what it is. Great post. And good luck with all your competing pressures! I know you'll figure it out.

Diane Burton said...

Love the post. It's crazy how much we think we have everything under control. Then--wham! Hope all works out.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Thanks Leah and Diane. Oh it will work out. A visit with old friends is worth it.