Saturday, March 21, 2015

I wandered by Barbara Edwards

                                       I WANDERED lonely as a cloud
                       That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
                       When all at once I saw a crowd,
                       A host, of golden daffodils;
                       Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
                       Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
                               Wordsworth       1804.




Sort of a long quote, but that opening phrase has drifted through my mind many times over the years. Mrs. Hazel Robinson, my fourth grade teacher required us to memorize a poem each week during the school year and I’ve mentally thanked her many times.
I was entering those troubled teen years when I felt like I floated alone, different, not in touch with the world. I have been in that aloneness many times over the years. 
When I was getting divorced, when my oldest child left to live her life, when my favorite dog died and everyone said get another puppy. 
Everyone has that feeling of solitude, but the best part of the poem is the message of hope. 
I feel it every Spring when the daffodils bloom. In that glorious golden display I find a reminder that life offers so much more than the empty sky. It offers an endless gift of color, variety, and touch at our fingertips. 
Enjoy the daffodils. 

When did You feel alone?

Please follow, friend or like me. I love to hear from my readers.
Amazon Author’s Page http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003F6ZK1A


4 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

Love that poem, Barbara. Writing used to be a lonely pursuit, but I feel like all the author friends I've made online are like those daffodils. Keeping me company. Cheering each other on.

Barbara Edwards said...

Adding you to my favorite flower list Lol

Barbara Edwards said...

Adding you to my favorite flower list Lol

Diane Burton said...

What a lovely poem. Love the picture. Beautiful.