Romance – what a huge word with more meanings than I can fit in one short blog. What romance is to you may depend on your age, sex, life experiences, imagination and probably even your I.Q., to name a few variables. No two people would totally agree. And the widest chasm will be between men and women.
Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes. There's too much fraternizing with the enemy.-- Henry Kissinger
In our romance stories, heroes know all the right words to say. They’re strong, yet fragile and certainly in tune to foreplay. And I don’t mean the physical kind, although they’re over achievers there, too. True foreplay starts hours or weeks ahead of time and melts a woman at his feet. Women understand sex and romance are not necessarily synonymous.
I'm always looking for meaningful one night stands.
-- Dudley Moore
As we mature, our view of romance may not change but the gestures that send our hearts soaring may. Flowers gave me flutters as a girl; a single compliment warms me now.
An archeologist is the best husband any woman can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her.
-- Agatha Christie
So here’s to romance in all its many forms. Whatever the word means to you, whatever gesture sets the butterflies fluttering, whatever glance sends your heart soaring and whatever caress prickles your flesh with goose bumps – it’s all good.
Sex without love is an empty experience, but as empty experiences go, it's one of the best.
-- Woody Allen
Be sure to check out Brenda’s novel, Sleeping with the Lights On. At fifty, with two marriages behind her, Sandra’s still searching and discovering. And a handsome country crooner may help her with a stalker, a millionaire and a secret admirer.
Brenda's Web Page
Brenda on Facebook
Nice blog. You have used some great quotes too. Sleeping With The Lights On, sounds like a great read, good to have an older heroine for a change.
Great post! Love your quotes! How well you understand romance!
Good morning Margaret and Jerri! On the lighter side, anyway. My heroine Sandra says, "Daddy always said marriage is 90% sex. I happen to think it's the other 10 percent that kept them together so long." That's probably romance - a huge ten percent.
Love the quotes, Brenda! Nice post.
Great blog article and how true it is, in my own experience the older I get I find it harder to read historic romance because usually the heroine is 18 and I feel like a voyeur reading it, or like reading my daughter's diary. It's also why I started liking paranormal romance where the characters are ageless.
Love the quotes!
If Agatha is right, there won't be enough archeologists to go around! I needed a good chuckle this morning. Thanks, Brenda!
SOOOO much fun, Brenda! Love the quotes. This definitely got my day off to a brighter start.
Deb, good point. Probably why I like writing about older heroines. Thanks for stopping by.
Thanks Karyn and Alison!
Ha, you're right there, Jannine.
Great quotes! Loved them all. And your blurb is great. I didn't realize you wrote "mature" heroines too!
Off to find this book, but gosh, my TBR pile is out of control!!!!
One for the Road
Hi Lynn. Stories about "Mature" heroines (the beyond 40-somethings) are what I usually write, especially for full length novels. Some of my shorter ones lean toward the 30-something age. But I do have a release in January, Honey On White Bread, that is a coming of age story. It's set in 1945 so my heroine would be elderly now - does that count? LOL
Great job of shaking up the blog, Brenda! I'd been expecting sappy lovie dovie quotes, but yours are wild and crazy! Fun blog today!
Dave Berg comic in Mad Magazine:
Him (yelling at woman): "You just use me! You give me sex because you want love!"
Her (yelling at man): "You just use me! You give me love because you want sex!"
They rush into each others' arms:
"Use me! Use me!"
My favorite quote: A man needs to make love to feel loved. A woman needs to feel loved to make love.
Thanks, Laura. Glad you enjoyed.
Fiona, love it. I'll have to borrow this and post on Facebook!
Post a Comment