Saturday, August 18, 2018

The Ups and Downs of Publishing by Jannine Gallant

I think all authors go through different stages in their careers--ups and downs, hanging in limbo, bouts of self-doubt, wondering what to do next... I've probably been luckier than most because I was given the opportunity to see my books on actual bookstore shelves. Getting a 3 book, mass market contract was a dream come true. But I knew there was a risk involved. If they didn't sell well enough, I'd be cut loose. Well, people, that's what happened this week. I was not offered a contract for my new series.

All is not horrible, however. My editor said the quality of my writing has not diminished as it does with some prolific writers. He thought my series concept was a good one. They didn't reject me because they didn't like my book. More pluses--the second book in the series, LOST INNOCENCE, had far more pre-orders than the first due to the fact that it was picked up by Walmart. The first book, BURIED TRUTH, was only in Barnes & Noble and a few other oddball places. Still, I apparently earned back my advance on BT and am in the black after 6 months. I should double my sales on the second book if they don't get a ton of returns from stores that stocked it. It's too early to know how the third book, HIDDEN SECRETS, will fare in getting placed in stores. I'm hoping for the best.

The bad news is that my digital sales were not good. Paperback store sales were a whole lot better, so apparently I didn't have the visibility I needed in the online market. Also, contemporary romance (including romantic suspense) is not selling as well as it used to. Regency romance is hot. Erotica is dead. We've seen these cycles before. The big names in romance are still selling books, but romance sales in general are down. Publishers are adjusting their lists accordingly and tightening their lines. If sales for LI and HS drastically exceed expectations, Kensington will reconsider my proposal sometime after the first of the year, but I'm not holding my breath.

So, I've had the good news and the bad. I am not, however, doubting the quality of my writing. Publishing is a business, and the strength of a book is only one component to sales. Marketing matters. Reading trends play a huge role. Now I need to decide what I want to do next. My editor thinks I could easily acquire an agent, but I'm not sure I want one. Without one, it's hard to get in front of the big publishers. And if I do get in front of them, there are no guarantees. My track record is not the best, but at least I have one. I don't want to go the small press route again. There are positives to self-publishing, but marketing yourself is an uphill battle. I may have to mull this over for a while.

I'm not despondent. I was kind of expecting this. I hope I don't sound too whiny because I really hate that. I just wanted to let everyone who has supported me know that I'll be following a new path in the future, wherever that may lead. And in the meantime, I still have one more mass market book releasing in late November. I hope people will buy it and enjoy it. I'm looking forward to seeing it on shelves when I'm Christmas shopping!

For info on all my books, check out my WEBSITE. Happy reading!

23 comments:

remullins said...

Not whiny at all but very realistic. We are members of a very fickle market as trends shift and evolve. I know you'll find a new home for your new series. Best of luck.

Diane Burton said...

I agrees with Robin, not whiny but realistic. Like any industry, publishing has trends that work and those that don't--remember the Edsel? I've been told never follow trends, write the book of your heart. By the time your book gets on an editor's desk, Regency won't be hot, something else will be. The important thing is keep writing. Good luck!

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks, ladies. I know better than to write to trends. I actually wouldn't mind writing an early American historical again because I love that period of history, but those don't sell well, either. My real problem was in digital sales, and we're back to the glut of books on the market and lack of visibility without a big name. No worries...I definitely won't stop writing!

Alison Henderson said...

I'm surprised because I thought the concept for the new series was strong, but I understand about the vagaries of the publishing business and applaud your philosophical approach to this development. The fact that you earned back your advance and then some is good news and will definitely help if you do decide to pursue an agent and/or another publisher. Digital sales may be where it's at, but it's so difficult to stand out in that overwhelming crowd.

Jannine Gallant said...

They didn't have a problem with the book concept, Alison. This was just about numbers. Mine weren't bad for paperback. Just not awesome. And I didn't stand out in digital at all. Oh well. I have my eye on one bigger house that doesn't require an agent. We'll see what happens with that and then reassess.

Vonnie Davis said...

I commend your attitude. I think I got whiny or mad as hell. Sometimes I feel the quality of our writing isn't as important as the marketing which will or won't increase sales. To stay in the publishers' good graces, we have to sell and sell well. I'm happy for a sale or two a day, but the bean counters don't think that way. As for trends, by the time you write something and have it go through the editing process, the trend has passed. You know that. Write what you enjoy. I know you'll write it well.

Leah St. James said...

I really loved the concept of the new series and will be waiting to hear what you decide! (I'm also eagerly waiting for the next release in the current series.)

I'm a little disheartened to hear that romantic suspense isn't selling. I'm not surprised that erotica is dead. (Enough already?) But naturally I'm working on an erotic-themed romantic suspense! Great. :-) On the hopeful side, at the rate I'm writing, they both might be back in by the time I'm done!

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Good luck to you on lots of sales. I just lost my publisher because they decided to close their business. It does leave an author upside down on what to do, but I have to write. It's part of who I am so I plan on finding a new way to get my books out, even self-publishing is an option.

Andrea Downing said...

I agree with Vonnie--it's sad that the quality of writing isnt as important as the promotion and marketing. What does that say about readers today?

Jannine Gallant said...

Vonnie and Andrea, sales ARE about the marketing not the book. And there is only so much we can do to help ourselves. Thanks for your support!

Jannine Gallant said...

Leah, don't give up hope! You're right in thinking trends in sub-genres will come around again. Maybe you'll nail it!

Paisley, I'm sorry to hear about your publisher. It does throw you into limbo. On the plus side, self-pubbing gives us a lot more control, which can be a good thing. Best of luck to you, too!

JENNIFER WILCK said...

Not whiny at all. Actually, you sound pragmatic and a little hopeful. I think it's important we acknowledge the publishing trends, not necessarily to write to them, although that is an option, but to realize that it's a business and sometimes we have to just go with the flow and wait it out. Your books are awesome and I'm sure you'll find a path that works for you. Good luck!

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks, Jennifer. I actually do feel hopeful that things will work out.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Sorry it didn't lead to more for you. I'm one of your fans, reading your books and still making my way through them. Quality sure isn't the issue. Good attitude. Better than mine of late!

Jannine Gallant said...

I can’t complain about where I’ve gotten so far, Brenda. My hope is to move forward not back. We’ll see how it goes.

Alicia Dean said...

I'm so sorry, Jannine! You don't sound whiny at all, and I admire your attitude, but even if you were expecting it, I know it was a huge disappointment. At least you know your writing is strong and your concept is great. As we've all said over and over, it's so hard to get noticed among the masses of books available these days. I know you have a lot to think about, but have you ever considered Entangled? Even though they are a mid-level press, their books seem to do quite well. Wishing you luck, whatever you decide to do. Hugs....

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks, Allie. I appreciate the support! I'm shooting for Sourcebooks first. We'll see if they bite. I'm not sure my heat level is steamy enough for Entangled.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Sorry to be late. I’m You’ve already heard most of my thoughts on this issue, but here goes. You know you have an extremely well written book to offer AND a unique, edgier series. Some publisher will pick it up. They’d be nuts not to. Ahem. You’re correct though, though we do write the books of our hearts and put some of our souls in them too, the book publishing business is just that. A business. It’s who can generate the most money with quality, at times, going by the wayside. You know what they say about each book. Good luck with Sourcebooks. And/or finding an agent. What ever path you choose, we both know you’re going to be a success at it.

Jannine Gallant said...

Thank you, Margo. I'm doing my best to stay positive! Now, back to the synopsis...

Rolynn Anderson said...

Also sorry I'm late. Family reunion ended today, Sunday, and now my husband and I have another set of friends to visit. Whew! I think you are being profession about your career and optimistic about your skill set. Mush on, Jannine...we're behind your efforts and interested in your approaches!

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks, Rolynn. I’ll definitely keep you updated!

Liz Flaherty said...

Thanks for sharing this. It's always good to know we're not in it alone. Good luck with whatever comes next!

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks, Liz. I feel sharing the ups and downs is important for our writing community. No one should feel alone in this!