Wednesday, July 25, 2018

And the Winner Is...


Our guest for today was a no show, so I thought I'd use this opportunity to update everyone on our Christmas stories. Thanks to our readers and their much appreciated votes last week, we narrowed the first line field to the top 3 choices and created a poll. Our participating authors voted, and the winner is...drum roll, please!

She peered through the snow-spattered windshield at the neon sign and hoped like hell there was room at the inn.

The line we'll all use to start our stories is very clever! I'm hoping the author who came up with it will tell us who she is in comments. It's a little more specific than some of our past choices, so we'll need to be on our toes to write stories that aren't all similar. However,  being a diverse bunch, I'm sure this group is up to the challenge! I'm already thinking outside the box...

I hope everyone will join us for 12 festive holiday stories beginning right after Thanksgiving weekend. The way time is flying this summer, November will be here before we know it! All we have left to do now (other than the actual writing) is come up with a title for this year's collection. Any ideas? Once we have that, I'm sure Alison will make us another spectacular cover. Stay tuned!

11 comments:

Leah St. James said...

I'm trying for outside-the-box thinking, too, Jannine! As always, I'm looking forward to reading what everyone comes up with.

Margo Hoornstra said...

I have my idea. Now just need to figure out how to redeem a seemingly nonredeemable hero. Title? Let me think on that....

Margo Hoornstra said...

An Ordinary Christmas, Christmas Surprise, All I Want For Christmas. Okay, time for more coffee.

remullins said...

The title for my individual story is Have A Merry Undead Christmas (or some variation of that). It takes place in Amber Heights which is the setting for my vampire series.

Jannine Gallant said...

What about using song lyrics for the collection title? The best two I could come up with that go with our line are "Comfort and Joy" or "Let It Snow."

Brenda Whiteside said...

I have absolutely NO idea yet, but love the first line!

remullins said...

Comfort and Joy is good as it suggests different things to different people. My story is almost 1/2 done and deals with a woman being turned into a vampire on Christmas Eve. Not too cutsey though I hope the reader will get a smile or two.

Margo Hoornstra said...

On a Midnight Clear although Comfort and Joy does have a sort of ring to it.

Diane Burton said...

Just to be perverse (LOL), I like "Let It Snow." No idea what I'm going to write or even a title. But then I never do until the season gets closer.

Alicia Dean said...

So sorry I'm late! I'm the one who submitted the line. I'm honored, this is the first time one of mine have been chosen!! When I thought of it, I also figured we could change it to 'he' if that fits our stories better, right? I hope I didn't box us in too much. I was actually thinking it would be fun if all our characters were at the SAME inn, but that would be tough to pull off without a lot of work. :) I like the title suggestions. I like Comfort and Joy, it fits staying at an 'inn' but then again, it also suggests things are all nice and happy, which won't always be the case. I like let it snow and On a Midnight Clear too, because to me, that can be kind of creepy, LOL>

Jannine Gallant said...

Ally, congrats on writing the winning line! I actually started my story today. I think we can all get creative with our plots and make our stories unique. I'm not sure about On a Midnight Clear simply because it isn't clear if it's snowing. LOL Let It Snow might be the most generic choice that fits the first line AND would make for a great cover image. We'll have to see what Alison thinks. I know she's off-line this week.