Thursday, July 19, 2018

Helping a Friend by Alicia Dean


I met a new writer friend a few months back through my first cousin once removed, Michael. (I used to think he was my second cousin, until a comment on a blog post set me straight. Do you know the difference? I have trouble remembering, but there IS a difference J) But I digress… This writer, Tina Fausett, is Michael’s neighbor, and he brought her to one of our Friday Martini Club  get-togethers. I liked her instantly! She’s personable and lovely, and has quite an interesting past. Coincidentally, she had just submitted to The Wild Rose Press, although another editor had her manuscript. I asked the editor if I could take over, and I did, but unfortunately, while her writing and her book are excellent, it wasn’t really a fit for TWRP. However, I encouraged her to self-publish. But, since the book left off on a cliff hanger, and since it was to be continued, and since it was very long (well over 100,000 words), I suggested she publish it in installments, making it clear that each one was ‘to be continued’ and setting a price of 99 cents for each appx 20,000 word installment, and releasing them 3 weeks apart.

She liked the idea, and we began working together. I am helping with edits, covers, uploading to Amazon and a little with marketing.

The first installment releases this Tuesday. It is not up for pre-order, but we plan to put the next installment up for pre-order with each release.

What do you think about an ongoing saga like this? I’ve been thinking for a long time that I would SP a soap-opera type continuing saga in this same manner, so this is good practice for me (if I ever get it written, after I write the two current projects that MUST get written soon!!). To me, as long as readers know it’s to be continued, they won’t feel cheated. Let’s hope I’m right! J

Tina is just now getting her Facebook page up and running. If you don’t mind, she’d love some likes:

Here is the cover and blurb:

A jealous, malevolent wife hooked on prescription drugs, a husband caught between reality and erotic fantasies, and an angel cast from heaven, are all bound together by their hatred for one woman whose spells and manifestations catch them in a downward spiral towards hell...Gina Faulkner, thought to be a voodoo queen, owner of Swamp Witch Pickles in New Orleans, is the center of it all.
Bane Colton, dangerous and cocky, sees Gina at the French Market and the game is on. He makes up his mind he's going to break the feisty redhead with the infamous kinky reputation, body and soul. And Gina's ready to be a player, until Bane’s estranged and demented wife, Beverly, wants him back.
Enter enigmatic Darsh, known to many as the Angel of Death, who’s watched over Gina since she was fifteen and has loved her almost as much as he’s hated her. Now they would come face to face. He could save her from certain peril, but could never save her from herself. Would she destroy them all? At the very least, a shift in the universe was coming.

19 comments:

Diane Burton said...

As long as the reader knows about the installments, I think it would be okay. In fact, that's probably a good device. People are willing to shell out 99 cents more easily than 4.99 or 5.99 (for the whole thing). She would only get 35% as opposed to 70% royalties if she pubbed the whole thing at once. But I'd be reluctant to pay 5.99 for a new author. My 2 cents worth. :)

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

I think it's a GREAT idea!

Keep us posted on the success (or not so successful attempt) - I'm anxious to know if it works as hoped/planned

Good luck and God's blessings
PamT

Margo Hoornstra said...

WOW! Just WOW to that blurb. The idea of a 'to be continued' serialized publication borders on genius. Although I don't have a lot of information about it, the new mobile app Radish offers this type of concept. Definitely something to keep in mind in the spirit of rising above the crowd and all of that.

Maureen said...

I've yet to venture into self-pub (near future!) so I can only speak from my opinion as a reader. I'd say as long as the wait isn't too long between books if it's a big cliffhanger or else I would be frustrated. Although I do think it's probably a good way to keep sales going. Keep us informed of how it goes.

Jannine Gallant said...

My only concern would be that people don't read the fine (or bold) print. They're going to get to the end and say, "WTF?" even if you tell them it's a serial story. But hopefully they would be motivated to buy the next one. Radish publishes 2 to 5 chapters (2,000-3,000 words per chapter) each week for pre-bought "coins" with it taking a few weeks to publish the whole book. It seems very popular (directed at millennials) and based off the concept that people only have short chunks of time to read. They can quit if they don't like the book. The first 3 installments are free. This is similar but a much bigger gap between segments. I wish her much good luck with the project! BTW, I do know the difference between a cousin once removed and a second cousin! LOL

Andrea Downing said...

I have to say my Loveland was to be the first installment of a family saga, and I may still take it up at some point. However, I did read another ongoing saga and thought, in that particular case, the first story had no meat to it--it just sort of dragged, and so I felt I was being 'had' to go on and buy the next book and see what happened (which I didn't do). I strongly feel each book has to be pretty much 'stand alone' even if part of the story is left hanging to lead you into the next volume. My 2 cents.

Alicia Dean said...

That's what I'm thinking, Diane. That's true, but 35% of 99 cents with good sales is better than 70% of 5.99 with no sales. Worth a try! I'm thinking that after maybe 5 installments are out, she should consider putting the first 5 in one volume for 2.99. We'll see how it goes.

remullins said...

Thank goodness for mentors. We all need them.

Alicia Dean said...

Will do, Pam. Thanks for stopping by!

Alicia Dean said...

I think it's a great blurb too, Margo! Hmmm, this is the first I'm hearing of Radish. Interesting. We'll see how 'genius' this is. :)

Alicia Dean said...

Thank you for the input, Maureen. I agree. We hope 3 weeks isn't too long. We're always going to have the next installment available for pre-order. We considered two weeks, but three weeks made more sense overall.

Alicia Dean said...

Yes, this does sound similar to Radish. This is longer between, but it's also more words at once. I'll have to check into that concept. Yes, millennials do not like to spend a big chunk of time on any one thing. Hahaha, I've talked to a lot of people who don't know the difference. Good for you!

Alicia Dean said...

Yes, RE, I've had mentors, and I've found them huge blessings!

Barbara Edwards said...

Sounds like a great idea. Let us know how it goes.

Vonnie Davis said...

Perhaps you could put on the cover, First Installment or Section One. This will also alert the buyer. The excerpt was excellent. Good luck to her and bless you for mentoring her.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Andrea's comments make sense to me. It's not the sort of thing I would buy into, but I don't have time since I write. It's sounds like something a real reader would like. The blurb is excellent. Good luck!

Alison Henderson said...

You are so kind to help this beginning writer this way! I wouldn't personally be interested in reading a serial like that, but I bet lots of readers would. Please keep us posted as to the results of this fascinating experiment.

Susan Coryell said...

My thought is if Charles Dickens could write in installments and thrill the world, so could your friend. Keep us updated as to the success.
Nice post!

Leah St. James said...

Fabulous blurb! I think releasing in installments is a great idea, and 20,000 words sounds good for 99 cents. Let us know how it goes!