Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Sometimes the big outdoors and I don't mix.

I love the outdoors. It doesn't always love me. As a fair-skinned redhead, I've had a few patches of skin cancer removed. Now I use nothing less than 50-SPF lotion everytime I go outside. Just as my doctor instructed, I wear a broad rimmed hat, most of the time. Now it looks as if I'll have to add bug spray to the preparations before stepping outdoors.

I have a large patch of bleeding hearts along the side of our house. They're one of the many flowers I love. Roses, lily-of-the-valley, lilacs and bleeding hearts are tops on my list. Evidently as I was weeding them, I was bitten by a spider. I never felt the little bugger--at least until I tried to sleep last night. My arm was swollen, hot to the touch and throbbed. I paced the floor with an ice pack on it.
Today, the doctor said, "Spider bite." Use bug spray when you go outside. I almost laughed at the visual of me getting prepared to leave the house. First I'll slather on sun lotion, spritz bug spray over exposed parts of my body and then donn the hat.

Remember getting ready to go outside and play in the snow? All the layers of clothes our moms made us wear? We could barely move.  I hated the preparations then and I hate them now. Sometimes the great outdoors and I don't mix.

3 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

Yikes, that spider bite looks nasty! I'm with you, lathering on the sunscreen and remembering the good old days of putting on baby oil and trying to get a perfect tan.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Did you put iodine in your baby oil? That was the rage at my high school...back in the day. Not that it ever helped me tan. I just freckled.

Unknown said...

While physical activity is necessary throughout the entire year, being outdoors in the summer time has additional benefits. The sun provides us with lots of Vitamin D that many people are deficient in. However, Vitamin D Vitamin D regulates blood pressure, reduces stress and tension, relieves body aches and pains by reducing muscle spasms, reduces respiratory infections, helps in differentiation of the cells, aids in insulin secretion, helps fight depression, improves overall skin health by reducing wrinkles, makes skin soft, strong, and smooth, and improves cardiovascular strength by providing a protective lining for the blood vessels.

So, get outdoors ASAP and start getting your vitamin D fix!

Christal DeLoach
Holistic Health Coach
VirgoHealthCoach.com

"Optimizing Your Mind Body & Spirit"