Monday, November 30, 2015

Thanksgiving, End of the Year, and Short Stories


I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. With all the recent violence in the world, I was especially reminded to be thankful that my family is safe, that our little corner of the universe was spared the tragedies others are experiencing. The president of my writers’ group (Mid-Michigan RWA) encouraged us to write ten things we’re grateful for this year. This great exercise made me stop the frenzy of getting ready for company and planning a big dinner. Among things like our families, most of us wrote about the friends we’ve made in the writing community. I’m especially grateful for my wonderful online friends, like the Roses who welcomed me into their fold three years ago. Thank you, ladies. I’ve enjoyed getting to know and thank you all for your encouragement and support.


This post marks my last “official” post of the year. (More on that below.) So I’ll wish you all Happy Holidays and Happy New Year. We started out 2015 writing on themes. At first, that seemed to give us direction. But then our posts became almost too similar. I’m so glad we returned to “free range” topics. I’ve been surprised (and pleased) at the topics I’ve written about that elicited a strong response. I’m sure the other Roses have had that experience, too. Sometimes, we inadvertently strike a chord that resonates within the readers. What a great feeling.



Back to the reason this is my last post of the year. Starting tomorrow, the Roses bring a special gift to our readers. Our annual collection of free short stories, Ringing in the Holidays. As in the past, all our stories begin with the same first line: A ringing phone at two in the morning never brought good news. The talented Alison Henderson designed the cover. Isn’t it great?


By luck of the draw, I was given the privilege of kicking off this year’s collection. So come back tomorrow for part one of “The Christmas Jailbirds.”

Diane Burton writes romantic adventure . . . stories that take place on Earth and beyond. She blogs here on the 8th and 30th of each month and on Mondays on her own site: http://dianeburton.blogspot.com/
 

9 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

As your fellow Rose who introduced you to the group, your post made me smile. So glad you're here. Has it been three years already? ;-) What a great intro to our annual gift of stories. Thanks, Diane.

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Margo, for the introduction. I have really enjoyed being here. This group has made me stretch my creativity. I hadn't written a short story since high school until 3 years ago. Since I normally write 100k word novels, it was a challenge. And fun!

Brenda Whiteside said...

It's a good group. Can't wait for the stories to begin tomorrow.

Jannine Gallant said...

I'm looking forward to all the stories. Always a nice start to my day, along with a cup of coffee!

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Brenda & Jannine. I'm a little nervous about going first. But then I can relax and enjoy everyone else's stories.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

I look forward to December here at the Roses of Prose every year. I love seeing how some of the Roses can take the same sentence and create a completely different story. Some poignant. Some comical. Some thought-provoking. Some magical, like the season. Yet all fabulous. I'm super glad you're with us, too, Diane!! You've blended in well, adding your own sweet spice.

Alison Henderson said...

I can't wait to start your story tomorrow, Diane. As you can probably tell, the December short stories are my favorite part of the ROP year. I'm so glad you joined us - we're luck to have you!

Diane Burton said...

Vonnie, the variety is what I love the best about the stories. It's amazing what everyone comes up with.

Alison, thanks so much.

Leah St. James said...

Can't wait to read this year's stories, ladies!