Sunday, November 15, 2015

My Favorite Autumn Pie by Alison Henderson

These days it seems like everything is all about pumpkin spice. Latte, cheesecake, Oreos. Now I love pumpkin, but I thought I'd share my very favorite autumn pie recipe with you. It's one of OG's favorites, too. Last year I made it for Thanksgiving and I plan to do the same this year. I challenge you to give it a try. You won't be disappointed!




Divine Pear and Cranberry Pie

2  unbaked 9-inch pie crusts, pierced with a fork
6  half-ripe pears, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
2  tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp grated fresh lemon zest
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
   Pinch of salt
2-3 tbsp milk
   Sprinkling of sugar

  1. Gently toss pears with lemon juice, zest, and cranberries.
  2. Mix together sugar, flour, and salt. Combine with pear and berry mixture.
  3. Layer pear and berry mixture into first pie crust.
  4. Place second pie crust on top, seal edges, and cut small vents in the top with a knife.
  5. Gently brush the top pie crust with milk. Sprinkle with sugar.
  6. Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for 50-55 minutes.
  7. Let pie cool for 1 hour before slicing.
Happy Holidays!
Alison
www.alisonhenderson.com

11 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

Sounds really yummy!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Thanks, Alison. My fav. is the sweet/sour mix, which this seems to have. Would the dried cranberries be sweetened? Thanks for the recipe...it's a new one for me!

Brenda Whiteside said...

I try to avoid the kitchen but love pies. I just might have to give it a try. Sounds wonderful.

Alison Henderson said...

It is, Jannine! BTW, it's blustery here today, so I'm making your broccoli cheddar soup for dinner. We won't have sandwiches, so I'm thinking of crumbling some bacon on top.

Alison Henderson said...

Rolynn, I use Craisins. I've never checked, but I think they may be sweetened.

Alison Henderson said...

Brenda, you'll love it - I promise!

Leah St. James said...

I just ate lunch but if I could pull that pie from your kitchen into my office, I'd be eating it right now. :-)

Alison Henderson said...

Leah, it's always a perfect time for pie!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Thanks for the recipe, Alison. It does sound good. Something even I might be able to pull off.

Alison Henderson said...

Margo, as far as I can tell it's foolproof. I've made it many times without a failure.

Diane Burton said...

Sounds great, Alison. Thanks for sharing the recipe.