Friday, November 6, 2015

Essentials from The Writing Room by Amber Leigh Williams


Before I joined the ranks of professional writers, it was easy to picture my favorite authors doing what they did best – cozied up to their typewriters (Yes. Typewriters.), dressed to the nines, evening gown and high heels, a glass of sparkling water sitting at the wayside and a cat curled in a snug circle on their lap.

Now that I am an actual writer (and know a good many others), this picture has shifted a bit. Okay, a lot. Writing isn’t nearly as glamorous as I imagined. Neither is it cozy. (Anybody else familiar with that deep neck ache that likes to creep up the back of the head? How about cringe-worthy desk shoulders?)

Recently when asked what my go-to essentials are for the typical writing session, I thought about a good many things. Like my pajamas. Something comfy so that I’m not worried about my clothing. The less uncomfortable I am, the better. This helps me go beyond the physical and submerge myself in the world of my characters. I'd rather worry about what they're wearing, what they're saying and feeling than what I am. That's my job, at least.
I also thought about my trusty computer. It’s several steps up from a typewriter. I can take it practically anywhere I go. It even has this nifty feature that helps me resist procrastination by cutting off my Wi-Fi options.

A throwback to my first office shelves.
Things have changed a wee bit since - aside from
the clutter....
I thought about my keeper shelf where I store books that have inspired me through the years. Whether they’re great works of fiction or real life love stories or books on writing or life, simply being in the same room with these books gives me a motivating boost on those days when writing doesn’t come easily.
Here are a few other essentials that get me through the day (or night)….


Burt’s Bees Lip Balm
The kind with the pomegranate is my favorite. Once, I was the nervous sort. I constantly bit my lower lip or tugged at it with my teeth. Chapped lips plagued me from dawn to dusk. Through the years, I’ve thrown away lipstick choices for lip balms of all varieties. I guess you could count them as my chief beauty essentials…as well as one of my favorite writing ones. When I’m up against a deadline, that old lip-biting habit often comes back to haunt me. I always have a tube of Burt’s Bees at the ready to stave off this pesky problem.

A Hair Tie
Ever read the books in which the main character constantly finger-combs his/her hair when they’re pensive or frustrated? People actually do this. These are my people. At the writing desk, this habit peaks like no other. By the end of a decent writing session, I’ve been known to look like anyone from Chewbacca to Albert Einstein. Glamorous, right? Now that I’m growing my hair out again, it’s easy to sweep ye ol’ mane into a high bun to keep it from getting out of hand.

Just one example of my long-hand plotting style....
Notes
A common fixture at my side during writing sessions is a trusty spiral-bound notebook or two. There’s something about writing long-hand. I hold a firm belief that it is a dying art form, just like old-fashioned letter-writing and calligraphy. Nothing makes the ideas spout when it comes to plotting or free-writing like a blank piece of paper and an ink pen. Even when I’m writing at the computer, I usually have my notebooks spread open around me so that I can keep track of my plot points and myriad character details I wrote there as the story was initially coming to me. (Whoever said an idea you have to write down to remember isn't worth remembering doesn't know those of us humanoids who sometimes forget to put on shoes when we leave the house....)

Caffeine
I’ve always been a night-writer, but now that I have two young children, it’s even more difficult to squeeze in a decent writing episode during the daytime hours. After I’ve put BabyCakes down for the night and the hub whisks our preschool rascal off for his beddy-bye routine, I can try cracking down on my daily writing goals. Caffeine is a strong ally at 12:30 at night when words start to blur together and the idea of my memory foam pillow becomes more and more seductive...zzzzzzz.



Longhand. The cheapest form of writerly therapy....
Music
Something else that helps keep me motivated during those late-night writing sessions: my tunes! Tastes range depending on my current subject, characters, or mood but mostly I like to listen to motown hits, ‘90’s alternative bands, big band swing, epic instrumentals, or something modern and bouncy if I really need a swift kick in the rear to keep me going. Everybody else is sleeping by this point so earbuds are a must.


Readers, I’d love to know what your essentials are for a binge-reading session! Rainy afternoons? Fuzzy socks? A cuppa tea? A big, thick blanket? Feel free to share and happy reading!

11 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Working in long hand while in shall we say unkempt surroundings wearing comfy clothes. Ah yes. Kind of sums my writing days too. and caffeine. Oh my gosh, yes! Best of luck as your career unfolds, Amber.

Diane Burton said...

I don't write in long-hand because I can't read my own writing. LOL My brain is faster than my pen. Typing works for me. PJs or nightie & robe. Coffee is essential. Silence. Music with lyrics is too distracting. For all our differences, the goal is the same. Write. Best wishes.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Comfy clothes, like a caftan. Classical music. No words. Calvin's newspaper pages flipping. Coffee cup on a little heater to keep it hot. No writing longhand. I keep separate files for characters and their looks and traits. Another for research I've done on each book.
I write in my recliner with my laptop on my thighs. A basket of thesauruses and synonym finders on the floor to my right. We all have our own system. Whatever works is the right way. Great post.

Jannine Gallant said...

I try to write down characters with a few comments in a notebook. It's easier to refer to than sifting through the entire manuscript to figure out what the heck some minor character's last name was--or forgetting you gave him one the first mention and changing it up later! I like it quiet when I write. Easier to concentrate. My main nemesis to word count production is the Internet. So easy to tap that little button and scroll through cute animal posts on Facebook... I've actually found writing to a deadline helps me stay focused. Sounds like your routine is working for you!

Ilona Fridl said...

I usually write to music because it cuts the external noises out and I can focus on my WIP. No lyrics though.

Amber Leigh Williams said...

Margo, I agree with you on the unkempt surroundings. Nothing like a big pile of clean laundry to bury my feet under :-)

Amber Leigh Williams said...

Diane, I struggle to read some of my notes as well, especially those I make in a hurry! Sometimes it takes a few minutes squinting but with context clues I can usually riddle it out....

Amber Leigh Williams said...

Vonnie, silence is a wonderful sound, too, I think. Mostly because it's so hard to come by with little ones running (and crawling) around. I want a little heater for my teacup when it's cold out. I've also used fingerless gloves in my office, which is cooler than other rooms in the house....

Amber Leigh Williams said...

Jannine, I work better with deadlines, too. I find that disable WiFi button very useful. True, it's easy to tap it and connect within seconds. But I like testing my own discipline every so often.

Amber Leigh Williams said...

Ilona, for years I couldn't write to music with lyrics either. I think my mind's been trained to cut out background noise anyway for those days the hub is home and taking care of the kiddies. I can now listen to music with words. Motown and big band is especially comforting.

Leah St. James said...

So interesting how each person's preferences are different--except for comfort and caffeine! I'm the same. Must be comfortable, and my caffeine of choice at my fingertips (strong black tea, like the queen drinks...thank you very much). Music? If any, it has to be classical. Something I'm not tempted to sing or dance to. If I put on Motown, I'll be dancing in my seat...then around the room, story forgotten. :-) Fun post, Amber!