Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Sometimes A Simple Gift Can Change A Life by Vonnie Davis

You've all heard me talk about my grandson, Ryan. How my son raised him alone from the age of 15 months until he was 8 years old, when Mike married Tina, a woman who couldn't have children. Three pieces of a jagged puzzle that snapped together like magnets. Now, Ryan is a senior in high school, sending off his college applications to MIT, Caltech, Georgia Tech, and University of Maryland.


A week or so ago, Ryan sent one of his entrance essays to us to proof-read. I have to share 2 paragraphs, because over the years, we've sent books to all the grandkids as a message of how important reading and learning are. Surprisingly, they reached a point where they would email us a list of books they "really, really wanted," and since we are the stern, strict grandparents we are...wait...I think I hear snickering from the readership.

Okay, so we spoil them. It's our duty!


Here's some of Ryan's paragraphs in answer to the prompt to "Share a Significant Place in your life." Now, mind you, he's been on 5 cruises to various parts of the world and flown back and forth across the States, but this is where he chose.

"Going into high school, I was a huge mathematics enthusiast with just the smallest interest in science. It was not until my sophomore year, when I received a book in the mail from my wonderful grandparents, that my view of science and life would be forever changed. The book was The Universe and Dr. Einstein written by Lincoln Bartlett, setting off a chain reaction of events that did nothing less than change my life. After the first chapter, I was completely engrossed in the book and its concepts. Learning about basic principles of relativity that went against most common sense left me with countless questions. It created a deep hunger to learn more.


Delving deeper into the enticing subject, I read countless scientific literature. By late winter, I had heard a science show would be airing in the next few months hosted by Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson. The show was his rendition of Carl Sagan's “Cosmos Series.” After this show, I became utterly obsessed with the universe. I absorbed articles and books about space. I stayed up late into the night watching podcasts, lectures, and presentations. And to my friends’ and parents’ exasperation, it became practically the only thing I talked about."

As you can see, we didn't have much to correct except for his last paragraph that I won't share here.
He veered from the personal side to the facts and figures side. Even so, one book--a simple gift--that, unbeknownst to us, changed our grandson's life. Who knew? Ryan told me he'd read it 3 times, but never mentioned its effect. I was blown away by his essay.

As a writer, I often wish my books were the type to change a woman's way of thinking. I try to have all my heroines take life's adversities and turn them into advantages, to see their inner strength and their worth as a woman. I hope I succeed in this underlying message.

My third bear shifter book Bearing It All released last month. 
 




BUY LINKS: http://amzn.com/B00TCI2A5E
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bearing-it-all-vonnie-davis/1121772576?ean=9780553394658

Visit my website at www.vonniedavis.com

17 comments:

Rolynn Anderson said...

Great post, Vonnie...heartwarming to know that you sent such an important book to your grandson...without knowing the impact it would have.

Liz Flaherty said...

Nice one--and what a pretty family they are!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Amazing! You're right - one gift and a life changed forever. Way to go.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Mike told me once, Rolynn, he was driving a load of wrestlers home from a match. All of them were talking about their matches and Ryan was quiet. Finally he piped up. "I wonder if black holes make a noise when they swallow stars and galaxies?" His friends took off their knit caps and beat him over the head.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Yes, Tina is the glue that holds them all together. Ryan has Mike to himself for so long, making the adjustment to having her at the house over the weekends to all the time was a bit of a struggle. He acted out for a while. I advised Tina to stake her claim as Momma of the house and to be no nonsense about it. Soon, they were in the kitchen cooking together. She just needed to make him feel needed in her life.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Thanks, Margo. We've sent countless books to the kids. Before Josh went to serve in Afghanistan, for example, he asked for a book of Walt Whitman poems. A paperback, he requested, so he could carry it in his backpack. With Ryan's interest in math, we thought this book would be a nice compliment, but we had no clue he'd embrace it the way he did.

Brenda Whiteside said...

How absolutely wonderful. I have one grandchild and hope I can be as great an inspiration as you are, Vonnie. I give her lots of books!

Jannine Gallant said...

A solid essay. I spent a LOT of time editing a ton of college app essays for Tara last year at this time. It's interesting to see what sparks their interest as important enough in their lives to feature it in these essays. Best of luck to Ryan. I know how nerve-wracking the waiting process is until they find out where they were accepted. Honestly, though, I feel they do end up at the right school for them, even if they have to swallow a few rejections along the way. Builds character!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Books and reading to them are so important, Brenda. The snuggle time. The importance of showing them the worlds contained within a book. Sparks their imagination, I think.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Jannine, Ryan has been so focused on MIT. Mike and he flew up last year for a week of touring the campus and doing a Revolutionary War history tour through Boston. But Ryan came alive on MIT's campus. He's usually so laid back, but he was all excitement there.

Alison Henderson said...

What a beautiful tribute, Vonnie. You can never anticipate the effect a book can have on a child. My daughter became an Egyptologist because of her fascination with Mummies: Made in Egypt, a Reading Rainbow book!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Vonnie, I read your response aloud to my wrestling coach husband...we're in Granada right now and his brother is with us. Rhey both chuckled at Ryan's black hole comment and said, in unison..."No sound." (My husband and his brother are both brainiacs...my husband taught physics...etc., etc.). Anyway, I wanted to tell you that BOTH these guys read the book you gave to Ryan (when they were around junior high age) and they can STILL QUOTE FACTS OUT OF IT! Good Lord. I'm WAY out of my league!

Leah St. James said...

What a great post, Vonnie. I'm not yet blessed with grandchildren. (Did you notice the "YET"??? I refuse to be one of those pushy mothers, but geez...I'm not getting any younger!) Anyway,what a joy it must be to know that a gift you gave had such an impact, especially a gift of a book. I could only hope that some day something I wrote would touch lives. Congratulations and best of luck to Ryan in his school selection.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Isn't it wild, Alison, the influence a book can have? How the words can creep into your soul? Thank goodness for that kind of power from something so small.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Mike went to college on a wrestling scholarship, Rolynn, so it's in Ryan's blood, so is football.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

I know, Leah. I keep hoping I'll write something to reach out and touch someone's heart.

Diane Burton said...

Wow. You have a right to feel so proud of that young man. Reading takes us places we'd never anticipate. Best wishes that your grandson find the university where he will thrive.