Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Honoring Those Who Serve





At my age, few things actually blow me away these days. Four kids raised to adulthood and now with an assortment of grandkids in the mix, not a lot surprises me.

Though there is one thing that fills me with awe and chokes me up every time – and has to do with those individuals we honor and celebrate today – Veterans Day 2015. Those fellow citizens of ours who are willing to put aside the comforts of hearth and home, to enter harm’s way for us. All to defend and preserve the lifestyle we all hold dear.

Our Freedom.

Brett, my insightful and brilliant grandson (but aren’t they all?) provided his take on this in an essay he wrote a few years ago. The one I framed and display in my living room. He was chosen to broadcast his work over the public address system at school. This is what he said.

“Every year on November 11th the United States honors those who have served in our armed forces. The holiday originally marked the anniversary of the Armistice between the Allies and Germany. The signing effectively ended all fighting in World War I. However, in 1954 Congress approved a name change from Armistice Day to Veterans Day. This was done as a tribute to honor and thank all veterans of all wars. On Veterans Day it is encouraged to fly flags at full staff in observance of the holiday. At this time, we would like to take a moment of silence to honor all the service men and women who have died.”

As he suggests, shall we take that moment?
 
 

Thank you. And thank them.

I would only add, as the Disabled American Veterans remind us – Freedom Is Not Free.
 
Just ask those who have sacrificed so much – for you and for me.
 
Margo Hoornstra

www.marghoornstra.com

18 comments:

Leah St. James said...

So true, Margo. I share your (and your grandson's) thanks. We (the people of America) often take for granted their sacrifices, and their families' many sacrifices.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Exactly, Leah. As I said, I remain in awe.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Amen. I never want to separate one war from another when I talk about this issue. These men and women were sent or volunteered for causes deemed worthy by powers higher than soldier-rank. We hope, over time, that those 'powers' become wiser about whether/why we send our young ones into harm's way. The powerful choose; the young ones muster.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Lovely tribute.
Thanks for sharing.
Good luck and God's blessings.
PamT

Margo Hoornstra said...

Amen as well, Rolynn. My father always said they went to war (World War II) so their sons wouldn't have to. Hmmm - Remember Vietnam? If only those who choose knew what it was they were doing.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Thanks, Pam, and you're welcome. IMO needs to be said. Over and over again!

Melissa Keir said...

I love the post... and it's not only the veteran's who went but the family members who were left behind. I know that my grandpa was at the enlistment office, getting tested when his mom found out that his two brothers were killed... so he came home and never served. But I know that his family was forever changed.

My brother in law is currently serving and my sister has stayed stateside this time with the two kids. :) I know that things are sometimes challenging for her having to do it all while he's away. Luckily she's got family close by!

Thank you Veterans!

Jannine Gallant said...

A lovely tribute, Margo. And Brett's essay was definitely worthy of reading over that loudspeaker. May everyone take a moment to remember why they get a day off work/school today!

Margo Hoornstra said...

My heartfelt thanks to your sister and her kids too, Melissa. My mother's first husband died in WWII. Forever changes things, so true.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Glad you liked it, Jannine. Told you Brett was brilliant. ;-) Freedom should never be taken for granted, you're right.

Diane Burton said...

Great post, Margo. Brilliant grandson! When I watch post-apocalyptic movies, where everyone has to fend/fight for themselves, I'm reminded of how lucky we are that men & women are willing to fight for us and to protect us and our freedoms.

Margo Hoornstra said...

You are certainly right, Diane. So many courageous and unselfish people. (You're also correct about Brett being brilliant! ;-)

Betsy Ashton said...

Yes, this is one of those days when we can be unabashedly patriotic. I'm taking my "Cold Warrior" out to dinner tonight. He served in the Air Force. My DIL is doing the same with our son. He served in the Navy. As my son says, "Go Navy! Beat Army!"

And remember to remember those who've served during wartime and peace. We shall not forget.

Margo Hoornstra said...

You got that right, Betsy. Never forget. Took my Army spouse to dinner with Navy and Marine friends. Good times!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

What a lovely and honest tribute your grandson wrote. It should be framed and honored just as his words honor. Thanks for sharing. I can vaguely recall it being referred to as Armistice Day. It took my parents a long time to accept change...not that I'm SO old, mind you.

MJ Schiller said...

Nicely done, Margo! I love the picture you chose! Happy Veteran's Day and a big thank you for all who have served our country!

Margo Hoornstra said...

You and me, Vonnie, tough Germans with vague recollections. I think I saw it listed as Armisice Day on an OLD calendar somewhere. Here's to the wisdom of children.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Amen, MJ, amen.