Monday, November 2, 2015

Curl up with a Book and Homemade Soup! by Jannine Gallant

November is that in-between time of year. Fall may not be technically over, but the leaves are mostly gone, and the trees wave bare branches against a sky that turns dark all too early each evening. Winter is on the horizon, but the ground remains bare of snow. Still, days are chilly, and nights are downright cold. November is a great time to curl up by a warm fire and read a good book...or eat...or both! Comfort food is just the ticket for these late fall days. And nothing says comfort like a steaming bowl of soup and a hot sandwich. Yum!

So, put down that book (hopefully one of mine!) and make yourself a pot of soup. This is an easy recipe guaranteed to please. My girls love it.


Broccoli Cheddar Soup

1 tsp canola oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups chicken broth (I use the less sodium kind)
1 bunch of broccoli, large stems removed and chopped into small pieces
2 1/2 cups reduced fat (or fat free) milk
1/3 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
8 oz. grated cheddar cheese

Heat non-stick pot and add oil. Sauté onion and garlic for 4 min. or until soft. Add broth and broccoli. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 min. or until broccoli softens. Mash with potato masher until broccoli is only slightly chunky.

Combine milk and flour with a whisk until blended. Add to broccoli mixture and cook 5 min. until thickened, stirring frequently. Add seasonings and cheese. Stir until cheese melts. Yields 4 generous servings.

I like to serve this with sandwiches for an easy dinner. Philly Cheese Steak or Grilled Ham, Cheese and Tomato are great choices. Enjoy!


Oh, if you're looking for something to read by that fire, pick up a copy of one of my romantic suspense books, guaranteed to keep you turning the pages long after the soup is gone. Buy links and blurbs can be found on my website.

11 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Now that's a recipe even I, an avowed non-cooker/baker, could handle. How did you know? ;-) Thanks. As one of the initial readers of Every Move She Makes, I can attest to the fact that this book will warm up those cold winter nights!

Brenda Whiteside said...

Hot soup, hot book. Sounds wonderful.

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks, ladies. Yes, Margo, you can handle this recipe! LOL

Alison Henderson said...

It's definitely a homemade soup day here, today - and that's what I'm making for dinner! I'm making a country French cassoulet, but I want to try your recipe ASAP. OG and I both love broccoli cheddar soup.

Jannine Gallant said...

Alison, enjoy your cassoulet...and the rain. I never measure anything when I cook, so I'm hoping I put down the right amounts. Adjust if necessary!

Ashantay said...

Yum! Soup is a fabulous idea - thanks for the recipe!

Jannine Gallant said...

You're welcome, Ashantay!

Liz Flaherty said...

So now I'm hungry. Again. :-)

Jannine Gallant said...

LOL, Liz. Hey, it's lunchtime (or dinnertime) somewhere, right?

Leah St. James said...

Oh. Yum. Like Margo said, even I might be able to handle this one! And I love broccoli/cheddar soup. I have to make a side dish for a progressive dinner we're doing at the "paycheck job," and this will be PERFECT. Thank you! And yes, the book is wonderful too. :-)

Jannine Gallant said...

Progressive dinners are always fun, Leah! I hope the soup is a hit at yours!