Thursday, May 24, 2018

#Beach, #Babes, and #Dogs by Brenda Whiteside

Daddy then
After spending four days in Seal Beach, California, I wonder why I haven't set one of my books in a beach setting. We lived in Santa Barbara when FDW went to Brooks Institute of Photography so it isn't that I don't know the beach. If I didn't already have five books percolating in my head that will be set in a western, reborn ghost town, I would. I'm sure something is going to pop into my writer's brain, and I'll have to tuck it away for the future.

Daddy now
Spending time on the California coast always brings back memories. Our son was a toddler and hard to keep out of the water. Now it's a granddaughter who has her father's love of the ocean.

Xena and Gabby 
Our dog, Shadow, a black lab loved the water as much as our son. Grown up son has two dogs that thoroughly enjoyed the dog beach.

When we walked by this bright blue VW Bus, I was taken back to the purple one we owned. We traveled up the coast for over a month in the bus
with plush purple carpet, velvet curtains, and a dashboard I painted with flowers and the words "this is the first day of the rest of our lives."


Remember when

Yeah, I'm going to have to revisit a seaside story. Just thinking about it, I smell the salty air and hear the crash of the waves.

Until then:
The fifth book in my Love and Murder Series, set in central and northern Arizona will release worldwide on June 18. The Deep Well of Love and Murder is a romantic suspense you'll enjoy. See all of my books here on my AMAZON PAGE.

16 comments:

Leah St. James said...

The beach is one of my favorite places, Brenda. My first book is set at the beach (a body is discovered), and I've written several short stories that take place at the beach. I'm with you on that salty air and crash of the waves. So many sensations to dig into. And I didn't know VW had updated its van! I haven't seen one in years. Thanks for the morning shot of nostalgia. :-)

Vonnie Davis said...

I loved your pictures, Brenda, and the trip back in time. I've never traveled to the west coast. The waves there are higher from pictures I've seen. The east coast where I go on the rare times I've been is more gentle unless a storm is headed that way. Yes, your beach needs to be a location for one or more of your books.

Diane Burton said...

I live close to Lake Michigan. Love the peacefulness of the beach, esp. in winter. Summer? Not so much. LOL There's something about that big expanse of water that makes me feel at peace. I set my Alex O'Hara mystery series in a resort town similar to ones along the west coast of Michigan. You need to find a way to write a story at the beach. Loved the pictures.

Jannine Gallant said...

I grew up near the ocean in Northern CA. Much more rugged up there than in SoCal. I set my Siren Cove series on the Oregon Coast, and I've used an ocean setting in other books. There is a distinctiveness of setting to that vast stretch of water and waves. Maybe after your current series you can head west in your imagination... Great pics!

Brenda Whiteside said...

Leah, I'm not sure they have updated or are manufacturing VW buses again. This one was probably a restored one.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Vonnie, I love both coasts. They are so different. Then there's Florida. All beautiful.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Diane, the Great Lakes are ocean-like. I know from visits to Duluth that it feels like you're looking out at the ocean.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Jannine, I love the Oregon coastline. I'm not a swimmer or really enjoy playing in the ocean so I much prefer spending time on the more rugged coast exploring.

Margo Hoornstra said...

I crave water, preferably with waves lapping softly. Oceans are the best. My experience is with the Atlantic and Gulf around Florida. And briefly San Diego when my brother was in the Navy. I’d love to see the California coast one of these days. Our recent Caribbean cruise was a dream come true. So peaceful. Yep. After this latest series is done and out of your system, you need to do a beach one. I will too!

Alison Henderson said...

I'm glad your trip was such a memory-filled success! After spending the first 58 years of my life living in the Midwest, I've become a confirmed coastal girl. I'd visited beaches many times, but it's not the same living a few minutes from one. When working on my last series, I decided to set the next one around here. I can hardly wait to get started!

Brenda Whiteside said...

I love water too, Margo, but I've found I enjoy a lake in the mountains more. Oh I love the ocean, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose mountains.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Alison, great idea!

Andrea Downing said...

Brenda, I live most of the year in the Hamptons, beach life personified I should think, but have never set a story here though one of my books does have a few scenes here. As the Hamptons has starred in a number of films and tv shows, you'd think it a great setting for a novel--but my heart is in the West. And I think that's the bottom line. We write where we see the story--and I see mine out west.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Great pics and memories, Brenda. For my husband and me...in 1975 or so, our first new car was a VW Bus we bought in Brussels...traveling in it all over Europe, then shipping it home. Those were the days! No shrinking violets in this bunch of roses...we have had interesting lives!

Brenda Whiteside said...

I agree, Andrea. Where our heart lies is where we write. As I look at my books, that really nails it.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Oh my gosh, Rolynn. We missed each other in Europe by a few years. FDW and I did most of our traveling on a red 650 Norton motorcycle. You haven't lived unless you've traveled European roads on a bike. We crossed the English Channel and hit London on the bike. What memories!