Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Julie, Julia and Me by Mackenzie Crowne

I’ve got a short but heartfelt post this month since I’m in Manhattan with family and there is a lot going on around me and, well, I don’t want to miss anything. So, last week, I found the movie Julie and Julia on the listing and settled down with an adult beverage and some popcorn to watch. I’d seen it before, years ago, before I was published, and enjoyed it. At the time, I considered it a movie about cooking, but watching it again, I was surprised to discover the publishing industry is a main theme…and how much Julia Child and I have in common. We both cook. Oh, wait. That's wrong. I don't cook. But I do drink, and so too did Julia, apparently. :-)     via GIPHY

Like me, Julia was a published author and it took a while for that to happen. Unlike me, however, Julia found major success, by industry standards, that is. But, back to the movie.

 As is the case with most movies involving writers, both Julia and Julie found their successful HEA’s in the publishing industry. Which brings me to the point of my short post. I’m here with a gentle warning to those would-be writers out there. You know who you are, the ones with stars in your eyes. And here it is: If fame, fortune, and fawning is the reason behind your writing mojo, you are probably going to be disappointed. Sad, but there it is.

That's not to say major success is out of reach. If it weren't attainable, there wouldn't be a NYT Best Seller list, would there? But, the space between publishing and that list may as well be a cavern. Many dream of spanning it - few achieve the crossing. The cold hard truth is, most of us hit somewhere much lower on the success scale than Julie or Julia achieved, but if you’re like me, and writing is compulsory, seeing your stories shared with others is, in itself, success. My most heartfelt advice for you is to write for the sheer joy of it. Write for yourself because there WILL be those out there who will not support your efforts. And lastly, write for the love of writing and you'll never go wrong.

When Mac isn’t in Manhattan having fun with her family, she keeps herself busy doing what she loves. Writing sensually romantic stories with a side of sass like To Win Her Smile, the latest in her Players Series from Kensington Publishing.

6 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Write for the love of writing. All that needs to be said, Mac.

Brenda whiteside said...

Thanks for what needs to be a daily reminder to me!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Thanks, Mac. Heavy sigh here because I just read in the NYT about a guy whose first book has been 'noticed' by Stephen King and other big trads., and it's going to hit the roof with sales. I write to get better at telling stories...but I'm holding out hope someone, someday, says: Well, look at her!

Romance is the literature of hope, after all :-)

Jannine Gallant said...

I write because I enjoy it. As for sales...I've never had illusions about becoming rich and famous, but I do dream of making a living wage one day! Until then, I'll write because it makes me happy.

Alison Henderson said...

In what must be kismet, I watched this movie again yesterday afternoon while I was on the treadmill! I hadn't seen it in years and had forgotten so much of what I loved about it. And you're right--I definitely viewed her writing tribulations through different eyes after being published myself for several years. Like so many newbie writers, I had stars in my eyes at first. Those have long since faded, but I'll keep writing as long as I love the end result--even if I don't always love the process. LOL

Leah St. James said...

Loved that movie, Mac! Like you, I'd seen it before being published, so I'll need to watch it again. And I do remember watching Julia Child taking (frequent?) nips of the adult beverages she used in her recipes. :-) As to your message: So true, so wise. Thank you for the reminder.