Saturday, September 19, 2015

Just how Powerful is the Power of Positive Thinking?



We’ve all heard about it, think positively and good things will happen. I never really believed in it all that much, but I recently watched an episode of Brain Games that dealt with the topic, and I was quite surprised. Side note: I checked out the show in the first place because Angela Baird, a friend I met at The Las Vegas Writer's Conference in April, was going to be on the show. You can see her briefly at approximately 10:16 - She's the cute blonde in the gray shirt who strikes a confident pose.) They claim that research shows that little things like smiling and changing your body language to more open and excited can have a great impact on your mood, your outlook, and even your luck. The episode showed a few tests to prove their claim and the one that impressed me the most went like this…

They brought volunteers to a basketball court in a park and had them shoot 10 free-throws. One of the subjects was a slight-framed woman and she missed. All 10. Then, they brought a small crowd in to watch, and the host blindfolded her. He asked her to shoot a basket blindfolded. She did, and although she missed, the crowd cheered as though she’d made it. The host had her try it once more, and the same thing happened. She missed. Crowd cheered. But, as far as she knew, she’d made them both in. The host removed the blindfold and had her try another 10 baskets. The crowd remained and cheered her on. This time, she made 4 of the 10. And on the ones she missed, she was much closer.

Next, they showed a guy who was really good. He made 9 of 10 on his own. They brought out the crowd and did the blindfold trick on him, and this time, the crowd booed. The host removed his blindfold and, even when he would make a shot, the crowd would boo and yell “lucky shot.” He continued and tried 10 free-throws. This time, he only sunk 5 of the 10. So, in a matter of moments, both performances were pretty remarkably changed, one for the better, one for the worse. So, maybe there is something to this positive thinking thing after all?

(Here is the video if you want to watch)




I know people who are extremely negative. They whine that nothing ever goes their way, they have the worse luck, boohoo, poor me… Well, maybe their attitude is why nothing ever goes their way.  When something does go their way, when good things happen, they don’t appreciate and acknowledge them. Perhaps if they did, their lives would be better and they would generate more positivity. I have always been a pretty optimistic person. I have tried to be upbeat and count my blessings, and overall, I am very happy. But I don’t think I’ve really fully committed and applied this theory to my life like I should. Maybe I’ll start thinking more positively, and I’ll become a world famous NYT best-selling author with a movie deal. If not, maybe I’ll at least get better at basketball. ;)

12 comments:

Brenda Whiteside said...

Love your post, Alicia. I am a strong believer and try to apply this to my life. And I have my own research to prove it. That's when I need a kick in the pants to get back to it. Thanks for the reminder.

Alicia Dean said...

Thank you, Brenda! I have to remind myself of the same. Whether or not it truly works, it certainly makes you feel better! :)

Jannine Gallant said...

Pretty remarkable experiment! I'm going to sell like Nora...I'm going to sell like Nora...I'm going to... Yep, positive thoughts! LOL

Alicia Dean said...

I agree...quite remarkable. LOL. Okay, you also need the powerful poses as well. And, maybe a cheering squad. "You're going to sell like Nora, you can do it, Jannine!!! Yay you!" :)

Diane Burton said...

My books are going to sell like hotcakes! I'm going to make the NYT bestseller list! I can dream, right? Great post, Alicia.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Love Positive Imaging...but affirmations need to be written (believed) in present tense: My books sell like hotcakes :-)

Leah St. James said...

I need the kick in the pants, too, Alicia. Thanks!

Alicia Dean said...

Thanks, ladies. Yes, Rolynn, good point. Or, maybe the universe would take that too literally and your sales might be 'flat'? Haha, get it, hotcakes, flat?? ;)

Rolynn Anderson said...

Got it, Alicia. Funny. I used to put present tense affirmations on my mirror...when you are a high school principal, you need all the positive cheerleading you can get. My husband was also a h.s. principal...propping up each other was very important....in the hot tub, too.

Margo Hoornstra said...

In every day life, I count my blessing every day. As far as my writing career, it's more like 'I want! I want! I want big sales!' A wise woman once remarked all that leaves me with is the wanting. Guess the rest of you are correct - I need to be more careful how I frame my desires, huh? Alicia, thanks for the inspiration aka kick in the butt.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Awesome post, Alicia. My grandson writes his goals at the beginning of every school year: get all A's, tutor other kids in Math, and go to States in wrestling were his goals for last year. I have goals, too, but I tend to keep them private. Fear of failure, I suppose. I've worked hard to make many of them. Some I've come close. A couple remain elusive and I'm coming to accept those particular goals might be unrealistic for me. Or at least I'm trying to accept. I have to admit, I still want to earn my letters.

Alicia Dean said...

Ah, Rolynn, great idea, posting the affirmations on a mirror. I should post them on my coffee pot, it makes me happier than mirrors. :) Yes, I would imagine being high school principals you would need all the positivity you could get!

You're welcome, Margo...thanks for stopping by. Yes, a wise woman indeed!

Vonnie, I would say you have accomplished a great deal. And, I'm sure there's more to come. I think many of us struggle with fear of failure. Your grandson is a smart kid! :)