Thursday, October 10, 2013

Falling Leaves Give Me the Shivers!

Laura Breck
I’m staring out my window looking at the hundred leaves falling from the trees with each gust of wind from the north. Brrrrr. Winter’s on its way!

Although I enjoy crisp, sunny fall days, it’s the six-month period that follows fall that scares me. I’ve been working on my holiday story for the Roses of Prose’s annual December short story festival, and just the thought of the holidays—snow and ice and frigid temperatures—gives me the heeby jeebies.

That’s why I set my holiday story in Florida. That’s where I’d like to be in December. And January. Okay, from November through April, please. Writing about salty Gulf breezes and warm sugar-sand beaches has calmed the native Minnesota snowbird urge somewhat.

If you could spend the winter holidays anywhere in the world, where would you like to be?

Happy fall,
Laura
~Smart Women ~Sexy Men ~Seductive Romance
LauraBreck.com
~Dancing in a Hurricane is available in digital formats at Amazon, Smashwords, and Barnes & Noble and in paperback at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Createspace
~Love in the Land of Lakes is available in digital format at Smashwords, All Romance Ebooks, Barnes & Noble, and Amazon, and in paperback at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Createspace

4 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

The wind gets to me, too - probably because a giant tree fell on our house years ago in a storm. Boy was that fun. :( I like snow for the holidays, but I'm over it by January. By mid-winter, Hawaii sounds really good!

Margo Hoornstra said...

As a Michigan native, snow for the holidays is a must. My parents once took us to Florida for Christmas and it just wasn't the same. Although I too could handle Hawaii in January.

Alicia Dean said...

I love winter...I'm not crazy about being out in a heavy wind, but I love the sound of wind howling, I love blizzards. I wouldn't want to be anywhere warm during winter. I would actually LOVE to go to Graceland at Christmas time just to see what it looks like that time of year, but Memphis is likely not very cold during December. I would love to be somewhere with a lot of snow like Vermont or Connecticut during the winter...especially at Christmas.

Diane Burton said...

Like Margo, I love winter in Michigan. Pristine snow, the sun glistening off ice. Beautiful. However, I wouldn't mind spending Christmas with our son in Phoenix.