Saturday, May 13, 2017

Your writing posse

I'm scheduling this post because on my regular post day I'll be out of town, helping out a friend after surgery (that's the plan -- here's hoping all goes as planned!)

She's a writing person, someone I met through the RWA chapter I belonged to at one time (I still do, but I'm long-distance now). Kathy and I have known each other for about 10 or 12 years, and she was with me when I was trying to get published, with me as I've been published, and has helped me brainstorm books, critiqued plots, and commiserated with me when sales slumped. She's been my Beta Reader and critique partner for all those years, and she's been invaluable in helping me learn my craft.

There's something special about your writing posse. These are the people who Get It. They know what drives you, and they understand your frustrations and your ire and your envy and your concerns. They also know why you write because it's why they write, too.

I have Groups of friends who seldom intersect. There's the Gardening Group, the Work Folks, the Writing Posse, the High School Friends. My friendships are like a big Venn diagram without any intersections, and I don't mind that at all. It's awesome to hang out with a bunch of gardening folks and slip into that mode, or a bunch of writing people and talk shop. They all nurture a facet of Me (I make myself sound like a multi-personality crazy person, and maybe that's not too far wrong).

But I have to say there's something special about the Writing Posse. I'm invigorated by them in a way that really keeps me going. So cherish your writing peeps and nurture them, too. They'll keep you going during the Bad Times and help you celebrate during the Good Ones.

Send positive healing thoughts our way so Kathy can get back to the keyboard fast--we have books to brainstorm and write!


J L
(jayellwilson.com)

6 comments:

Diane Burton said...

Sending healing thoughts for your friend, JL. A friend who can work with you, know what you need, is valuable indeed. Sometimes, rarely, our friends in different areas do intersect, and that's great, too. I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Leah St. James said...

I'm also sending good wishes for a speedy and full recovery to your friend, JL. Like you, I have groups of friends/loved ones/supporters that don't intersect. Each is wonderful in its own way, but I agree that writing groups and friends bring a special sort of lift. It's like they get it, and that's a good thing.

Rolynn Anderson said...

JL, your friend is a gem; I'm glad you cherish her. Since the Roses of Prose women are my favorite posse, I'l pause now to thank you all for being a group I can count on. Brava (or brave for the feminine plural)! I agree with JL that it's nice to have other posse's like my golf friends, but I've managed to get some intersection on my Venn diagram, which means I have a few friends who understand all my passions. Still, it takes other writers to really get my author passion. Even my husband gives me the 'really?' headshake at times.

Jannine Gallant said...

Yep, I have my local friends, and my old friends/relatives, and my online writer friends. The local friends don't get the writing at all, for the most part. The old friends/relatives are very supportive, but... If I want to talk about writing/vent/bounce around ideas/etc. I head to my online posse. We "get" each other, and I'm extremely thankful for a group I can always count on for understanding. Sending good wishes for your friend's speedy recovery, JL!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

There's something very special about a person or persons who get you. Who understand why you need to pull back from the happenings of society and go inward to the world of your characters. They have to be treasured. I wish your friend a speedy and complete recovery.

Alicia Dean said...

I completely agree. There is something special about writing friends. Sending healing thoughts and prayers. You're a good friend to be with her during this time.