Friday, May 26, 2017

The green cave

We are full-on into summertime mode here in the Midwest. The world has greened up nicely, my gardening is on its way to Bloom Time, and the #*(@ bugs are out in force.

Right about now is when I go into the Green Cave. You see, our house sits *far* back from the road, and between me and the road are trees. Lots of trees, mixed with a few shrubs. Many people don't even realize there's a house back here. I can barely see the road for the trees, and as to seeing the neighbor's house (50 yards or so away, somewhere behind me) -- I have no idea if they're home or not. Can't see a thing.

I prefer wintertime. I like the cold and the feeling of "better stay inside, it's too cold to go out" so it's an excuse to be indoors and do the indoor things I like. But there's something to be said for my green cave. I can see the hummingbirds at their feeder; the woodpeckers at theirs; the other flyers at theirs. I see flowers, shrubs, and trees, and ... not much else. It forces me to focus on my keyboard, so I guess that's a good thing.

If you have a holiday weekend coming up, I hope it's a pleasant one, however you celebrate it. I plan to write, relax, attend a memorial service (a yearly tradition), barbeque, and do some more writing ... in my green cave!

J L
(jayellwilson.com)

7 comments:

Leah St. James said...

Your "green cave" sounds lovely, JL. Enjoy the peace and solitude!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Happy Memorial Day Weekend to you and all the Roses. Mixing fun with writing makes us better writers...and nature is always the best of distractions as we search in our brains for our next good thought. Write on!

Brenda Whiteside said...

I would love your green cave. The trees are full here too at the RV ranch and the birds are regular visitors. But I'm guessing we are hotter. I woke up this morning missing the cool of MN summers.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

I turn 69 this Memorial Day Weekend. A young 69, you understand. We'll celebrate it low key as I write. Your green cave sounds great. We have a lot of trees, too, and with rains almost every day for the past two weeks, we are greener than green.

Jannine Gallant said...

Enjoy your green-ness! We're beginning to feel like spring here. The snow piles in the yard are shrinking but still present.

Diane Burton said...

Your house reminds me very much of one not far from me. In the summer, I never see it. But during winter with all the leaves gone from the trees, I'm reminded anew that people live there...in their green cave. Enjoy the summer, get lots of writing done.

Alicia Dean said...

Sounds lovely! I also like winter, but a place like yours would make spring a little more bearable. :D