Wednesday, May 3, 2017

When Your Grandson Asks About Your Homework ... by Vonnie Davis

Last month I posted about all I had going on in my writing world. Well, I've made some progress on my list. Believe me, it's not necessary to applaud.  What I've done are small steps we all do during the course of our career.

I've contracted Mr. OH under the name Renae DeVeau and our own Alicia will be my editor. Pray for her, folks. It's my first erotic.

I self-published NIKO: Licensed to Kill on April 25th. JEAN-LUC: Once is Never Enough releases on June 13th. I still have BASTIAN: The Spy Who Loves Me to finish. I'm two-thirds through, maybe more. I'm hoping to release it the end of August or the first half of September.


That only leaves A STRANGER'S DARE, a Kindle World's novella, a novel--A GOLDEN CHARM, and two bear shifter books to finish. Oh...and...two more Kindle World's novellas I've been asked to write. A cowboy romance set in Texas--yee-haa!--WHAT BELONGS TO RYDER. My street team chose the heroic cowboy's name--Ryder Kolins.

The third Kindle World's project is a paranormal tied into my shifters. Title for it is BEARY SASSY. Pink-haired Effie plays a matchmaking role in this story.

See how much progress I've made? Three things done and two things added. That's good. Right?



So I'm doing my Friday texting time with Ryan at MIT. "How's the writing going, G-ma? Are you finished with the one for Amazon?"

"I'm over halfway done."

"That's all?" (I cringed. There's nothing like getting fussed at by your grandson.) "I've got all my required work completed for my Internship on the 2020 Mars Land Rover. I gave a report to representatives from NASA. What I'm doing now is extra." (Show off.)

"That's awesome, sweet boy." My nickname for him since he was an infant.

"G-ma, you really should have more of this project completed. I notice you spend a lot of time on Facebook and Twitter." I could sense the censure in his text. (And how would smarty pants know if he wasn't on Facebook and Twitter, himself, I ask you?)

"You know I hate a smart a$$ scientist."

"Hahaha. See if you can't do better next week." (So much for the Final Exams care package I was going to send him. I'll eat the chocolate, energy bars, and homemade trail mix myself!)

Me thinks I've been put on notice and I'll need the nourishment.

18 comments:

Angela Adams said...

Adorable post! Thanks for sharing!! And, that grandson of yours can be used for a romance novel book cover!!!

Leah St. James said...

Oh too funny! I think I'd keep the care package for myself, too!
Congratulations on all the progress! I'm impressed and can't wait to read all the new books! And congratulations on snagging Alicia as your editor for Mr. OH. She was my first (and so far only!) editor and spoiled me rotten!

Brenda Whiteside said...

Trudge on. Those youngsters have no idea of the energy we expend. He sounds like he loves to tease you. Such love. Fun post.

Diane Burton said...

Ah, the young. They have so much energy...and have no idea how much energy writing takes. You've done great, Vonnie. Congrats on finishing your projects and on getting new ones.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Ryan is a loving young man for all his teasing. Sometimes he'll call me and say "I just needed to hear your voice Grandma." And, of course, I melt, Angela.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Leah, I'm eager to work with Alicia, too. As a retired person, I'm happy to have the projects to keep busy and to keep my mind active.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Brenda, Ryan was born on my 50th birthday. Every so often, he'll sit next to me and whisper, "Tell me about your fiftieth birthday." And if I miss a word, he'll remind me. He'll tell me how he's really feeling about things when he won't tell anyone else. I'm his safe person. He knows I'm always on his side even if we do tease each other a lot.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Thanks, Diane. New projects keep our minds going. I worry about stagnating mentally. The TV doesn't come on until the 6:00 news except during the Olympics. I refuse to live in front of it.

Rolynn Anderson said...

You know I'm a fan of your Paris series, Vonnie. I think they'll be a huge success...especially with yours and my favorite setting. I'm learning that more Americans are willing to read about countries other than their own...a very good thing. Ryan is lucky to have you, Von...wrestlers are too used to going it alone on the mat-single-minded, persistent, courageous. But they, like all people, need a touchstone, someone they can talk to. They might act like machines, but they have feelings, too. Ryan...Ryder. Methinks Ryan is already in a novel :-)

Alicia Dean said...

LOL. Thank you for the laugh, Vonnie. This is adorable! I love your relationship with your handsome grandson. Glad he's keeping you in line. And, your editor needs no prayers. Your story is fantastic...editing will be a breeze!

Jannine Gallant said...

This was hilarious! Bright kids can be such smart asses! Good luck with keeping everything straight. You're making great progress!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Rolynn, before Ryan was accepted to MIT, we were visiting and he hugged me before he went to bed. "I'm so scared about not being admitted, I've been having stomach cramps for over a week." I held him and asked if he'd told his dad or mom. He shook his head. "Only you, grandma." So we moved from the kitchen to the living room and talked. The night the list went up online, Ryan called. He could barely say, "I got in." Later, he wrote Calvin and me the nicest letter for all our emotional support and the awesome books on physics we'd sent him.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Thanks, Alicia. Ryan and I do have a close bond.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Yeah, but smartasses can be such fun, Jannine. I raised two boys who fit that category. Amy, my daughter, was more quiet.

Andrea Downing said...

Oh, those MIT men. I dated a few back in the day, all smart-mouthed I hate to say, but obviously cute. Don't those dang scientists know how difficult it is to write romance?

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

That's right, Andrea, emotional perfection can't be rushed. LOL

Margo Hoornstra said...

You and Ryan are two very, very fortunate and special people, Von. I'm in awe of your many projects and his incredible progress. Our future is secure. Best of luck to both of you. Hilarious exchange between you two. Thanks for sharing.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Thanks, Margo. Ryan's main interest right now is storing energy derived from solar energy panels and windmills. After all, the sun doesn't shine everyday, nor does the wind blow all the time. He wants to figure out how to best and cheaply store it for future use.