Monday, May 29, 2017

In Remembrance of Sacrifice by Mackenzie Crowne

Please excuse me for veering from the usual book format post, but today is Memorial Day. A day to honor the brave soldiers who stood on the line so that we may sleep in peace at night and paid the ultimate price. While I am lucky enough not to have lost loved ones in battle, so many have. All around us are families who grieve for those who have given all for our freedom. Then there are the vets who forever mourn the loss of their brothers and sisters in arms, warriors who served our country with honor and distinction. As we gather along parade routes or at back yard BBQs surrounded by family, let us reflect on the immense sacrifices behind today’s celebrations.

This essay from a 3rd grader says it perfectly.

As the flowers rest on the decorated graves and the sunlight shines on the beautiful sailboats, Uncle Sam whispers in my ear about how we should care for the soldiers and remember the ones that have died. Swimming pools open, BBQs fry. Today is the day to think of what they have done for us. There are blurs of red, white and blue marching down the street and flags are lowered at half-mast. But we should always remember and never forget what set us free, from this very day on.

© 2001 Ali M., 3rd Grader, Academy Elementary School, Madison, Connecticut.



9 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

Lovely, Mac! Enjoy your Memorial Day, everyone.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Heartfelt sentiments, Mac. And who is this awesome third grader who wrote such a terrific essay. Very few adults could do as well. Happy Memorial Day, everyone.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Thanks for the reminders, Mac. Many in my college grad class (recall, the lottery) walked directly into war-Viet Nam-and never returned. At my reunion, this coming weekend, we will honor them.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Nice post. My hubby is a Viet Nam vet and although he never wants anyone to make over the fact, I'm glad some do. And that 3rd grader should go into our profession.

Leah St. James said...

What a lovely tribute and reminder. And so true. Thank you, Mackenzie.

Diane Burton said...

Love that essay! I remember the lottery, Rolynn. The husband of a woman I taught with "won" by having his birthdate #1. I watched a video on the men returning from Viet Nam and how stunned they were about the anger towards them who were only doing their duty. How very sad that the country's anger wasn't aimed at those responsible for the war. Thanks, Mac, for the reminder of what today is really for.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Great post. Always remember and never forget. I started going to funerals of VietNam casualties when I was in junior high. My husband, father, grandfather and uncles are vets. Takes my breath away every time I think of those who give all so we can be free.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Oops - AND brother and brother-in-law.

Alicia Dean said...

Sorry I'm late, but I couldn't agree more. Excellen post, and what a precious essay.