Tuesday, May 2, 2017

My Book was almost a Movie...by Jannine Gallant


I thought I'd share a funny story with you. This happened a few months ago, and honestly, I'd forgotten all about it until something triggered the memory the other day. Have you ever imagined turning your book into a movie? Yeah, I think we all have, but I got one step closer than dreaming...

I was checking my email one morning when I noticed something from a production company in England asking about my book, Road To Serendipity. My immediate thought: What the hell? Who's trying to scam me now? I didn't want to click on the link to their website in the signature line...just in case it took me to some awful virus. So I typed their company name into a search engine instead. The same website came up, so I check it out. They seemed legit, small but they had a few actual movies and TV shows out with offices in London and Los Angeles. My second thought: What do I have to lose? So, I emailed the owner of the company back saying sure I'd be interested in a movie deal for my book and gave him my phone number. He emailed back that he'd be in touch the next day.

No phone call came, and I figured it was all a big misunderstanding. Mind you, Road To Serendipity is a self-published anthology made up of three novellas revolving around a high school reunion. It was originally part of a Wild Rose Press series called the Class of '85. I'd taken my rights back to my three stories, changed the location, and published them in a single book. How would anyone even have heard about this book that didn't sell squat?

Shockingly, a phone call came after the weekend. A man with a British accent asked me if I'd be interested in a movie or perhaps TV deal for my book. I, of course, said yes. Then he asked me what the book was about. (Head-desk. Seriously?) I told him then asked why he was interested. He said he'd had an idea for a movie or TV series that was a compilation of short vignettes in the vein of the Twilight Zone called Road To Serendipity, though not necessarily with a supernatural theme. When he googled the title he wanted to use, my book popped up. So he contacted me through my website. Un-freaking-believable, right? What are the chances? He asked if I'd be interested in turning my book into a script and assured me there were guidelines for this process. I said, "Sure, I can handle it!" Probably a lie, but whatever. LOL Then he said he'd buy my book and read it and get back to me.

This time I waited in vain for a call that never came. But I did sell a copy of RTS a couple of days later. I figured he needed time to read it. Well, this was back in February, so I think my movie debut is shot. LOL Obviously, my romances weren't what he had in mind for his series/movie. Still, it was fun to dream about while it lasted. However, it just goes to show strange things can happen when you least expect it. (Cue Twilight Zone music...)

If for some odd reason, you'd like to read Road To Serendipity, buy it on Amazon. It really is a great series of stories. Or check out all my books on my website. Happy reading.

17 comments:

Leah St. James said...

Well, how exciting! At least for a couple days! :-) And hey, you never know... Some people read more slowly than others! :-) (My brother-in-law is still reading my debut novel from 2010, and my sister keeps telling me it's the only book he's reading. Not sure how to take that!) Anyway, I have read the series and loved it. If the guy ever calls back with a deal, you can count on me for the movie!

Jannine Gallant said...

Okay, I was thinking no one reads that slow...but I could be wrong. LOL Thanks for the kind words, Leah.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Don't give up hope, Jannine. You got the call, it was legit...hang on to that! I went to a three-day conference on how to get our stories to the movie level, and the journey/politics is incredibly complicated. Some authors wait for years, even after the script is written, to see their stories on film. Crossing fingers for you!

Diane Burton said...

How thrilling, Jannine. I heard, too, that it takes forever for movie companies to make the decision on filming. I have a friend who went from writing romances to collaborating on writing movie scripts. She even has a Hallmark Christmas movie. If you want, I can put you in touch with her--for info on the industry and process. Best wishes You never know.

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks for the crossed fingers, Rolynn, but I think this ship has sailed. LOL

If the movie guy had called back, I certainly would have needed help, Diane. As it is, I think the world will have to wait for a movie with my name in the sub-titles.

Brenda Whiteside said...

I'll chime in...how exciting! I know you don't want to keep thinking about it, but you never know!

Jannine Gallant said...

It was sort of exciting, Brenda, but I never quite believed it would happen. So, the disappointment was minimal.

Unknown said...

As I read your post, my heart was racing for you! Who knows? Maybe he'll buy your title! Love it, by the way!

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks, Sandra. Too bad we can't copyright titles! LOL

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

If the man can't tell a good story when he sees it, well, the word doofus comes to mind. Even so, I'm happy you had the thrill, if only for a few days. I can't imagine the excitement, all the "could this be for reals?" that went through your mind. At least you can say my book was almost made into a movie. Go with it!

Jannine Gallant said...

I like your attitude, Vonnie! Exactly my thought when I wrote this post. I figured the whole drama was good for that if nothing else!

Margo Hoornstra said...

It could happen. And I'm right there with the sister volume, Saturday in Serendipity. A London premiere. Count me in! It'll be great!

Jannine Gallant said...

I did mention your book to him in my phone conversation. His loss, right, Margo? LOL

Alison Henderson said...

What a great story! You were probably wise to enjoy the experience but not let your hopes run away with you. That way, if he should happen to contact you next year, you can get excited all over again!

Jannine Gallant said...

Exactly, Alison. My attitude was always pretty skeptical, but it did make a fun story to tell.

Alicia Dean said...

Wow, an almost movie deal is better than none. This is sooo awesome. Who knows, the publishing and movie wheels turn slowly. You might still hear from him. :)

Jannine Gallant said...

I just thought the WAY that it happened was unbelievable, Ally. You never know what could possibly trigger that big deal!