Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Time does not dull all wounds

My first published books came out in 2007. I adored the cover of my first book.

I was appalled by the cover of my second book (no, I won't put it here. Read on).

I did everything in my power to get that cover changed but I was told that "covers aren't really all that important when you're in a digital world" and "nobody browses on the internet and buys a book based on a cover" (this is a publisher whose primary sales outlet was its own web site and not bookstores).

I argued for a better cover but was pretty much told to be quiet and take what I got. I waited out the length of contract to get that book back and when it was finally mine again, the first thing I did was get a new cover for it, rename it to something I liked (instead of the name I had to use) and I edited out all the things my editor had me change in the first place.

Yep, it took me five years, but that book will finally be released the way I think it should be. It had reasonably good sales in its first incarnation. I'm curious to see if a new cover changes the sales figures at all.

I'll post images here when the book goes live, later this year. But for now, let me say, it feels very good to know that the book will finally have a cover it deserves.

Hate/Love: they never grow old, and they never grow cold ....

J L
(30 books and counting)


6 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Way to hang in there, JL. Congratulations on your re-release.

Barbara Edwards said...

Glad you succeeded in getting it the way you like. Hope your sales reflect your efforts.

Jannine Gallant said...

What a crock! The cover is the first thing people see. They won't read the blurb if the cover doesn't catch their attention. Unless your name sells the book for you to all your adoring fans, the cover matters!

Leah St. James said...

Good luck with your re-release! It is empowering, isn't it?

Alicia Dean said...

Yay! So happy for you. Yes, a cover is extremely important, EVEN in the digital world. Congrats!

Diane Burton said...

Covers are so important. Congrats on getting the rights back and putting out the book as you want it.