Sunday, February 9, 2014

Those You Love to Hate by Brenda Whiteside

From one of my favorite singer/entertainers: there's a fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning. This song came to mind when I thought about love vs hate and how close together they can be. How many times have you heard - you either love it or hate it. With so many things, there's no in between which means the jump from love to hate is about like that line between Saturday night and Sunday morning.


My own personal vocabulary is splashed with the words love and hate. I'm sure I got this from my mom who is quite the drama queen. I rarely if ever really like something. It's always a case of love. And if I don't like something, well, I pretty much hate it. Being hungry is a state of starving. Need a drink of water? I'm dying of thirst. I could die of embarrassment too. There's just no half-stepping in my world. 

Love and hate play a big roll in romance novels. Reading about a hero you kind of like or a villain your sort of hate will put you to sleep. A hero who rocks the heroine's world and the reader wishes would jump off the page and into her bed? Now there's a hero you love. And please, give us a villain we love to hate.

I've totally gotten into writing bad guys lately. Loving it. Some time this year, the first book in my Love and Murder series will be released. In each of the three books, I give the villains his (or her) voice. You'll hate them, and love every moment doing it.













Visit Brenda at www.brendawhiteside.com.
She blogs on the 9th and 24th of every month at http://rosesofprose.blogspot.com
She blogs about prairie life and writing at http://brendawhiteside.blogspot.com/
 

11 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Brenda. Sounds like you were ahead of this month's theme. You're right though, extremes in fiction are a must. Best of luck with the series!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Sometimes a villain is remembered long after the hero and heroine are forgotten because he was so powerful and mesmerizing. Great post.

Jannine Gallant said...

I love writing villains. Especially a villain who the reader thinks is normal before the truth comes out. It's our chance to write really creepy traits--and who doesn't love that! Looking forward to your release, Brenda.

Alicia Dean said...

Ah, yes, I DO love to hate villains! I also love to write them. I've been told that my villains are more 'real' than my main characters, that I seem to better connect with them. I don't want to analyze the reasons behind that theory. :) I wish I could make my MC's as real as the villains, but I think part of the issue is trying not to give your MC's too many flaws. With villains, it's a free for all! Looking forward to you release, and I can't wait to hate your villain!

Romance Can Be Murder said...

Great blog - lots of food for thought. Yes, it's a very fine line between love and hate - and one aspect I love to think about in my books is how love can turn to hate. Hate that leads to murder when love turns sour... or a crime passionnel, as the romantic French might say. Not that it's an excuse for bloodshed, except on the page!

Brenda Whiteside said...

My apologies to all. I was on the road today. I thought I'd be home earlier and on the computer but you know how plans can get diverted.

Looks like we all love to hate the bad guy - and to write him!

Ashantay said...

Agreed - it's fun to write or read strong villains - especially when they resemble people who have hurt you or someone you love in real life. So healing to see the bad guys/girls get theirs.

Brenda Whiteside said...

That would be a new one for me, Ashantay. I've modeled heroes and heroines after people I know, but never villains. Hmmm...something new.

Diane Burton said...

The villain has to be strong for a truly strong hero to conquer. Otherwise it's like shooting fish in a barrel. I don't like creepy, but sometimes villains are. I like a villain who justifies what he does and his reason makes sense.

Brenda Whiteside said...

So true, Diane!

Leah St. James said...

Strong emotions are essential for good character development, both hero and villain, I think. But like several others said, my favorites to write are the bad guys (and girls). :-)