Thursday, February 13, 2014

Learning to love what you hate

Well, maybe not *love*, but learn to accept what you, okay, maybe don't *hate*, but what bugs you.

It's wintertime and I live in the Midwest. Need I say more? Snow up to HERE and so cold it's deadly. I hear so many people complain about the weather. "I hate the snow." "It's too cold to do anything." "I hate it when it gets so slippery."

You know--you live in the Midwest. It's going to snow, it's going to be cold, and it's going to be slippery. You don't have to love it but at least accept it. Remember, it only temporary. Very soon it will be all green and growing, then it will be too HOT to be outside and too HUMID to do anything fun, and ... You get the idea.

We can't change the weather. All we can do is try to put on a good weather attitude about it. There are so many things we can't change that upset us: religious dogma, world politics, illness or death. I try hard to ignore those things that trip my anger button and I try to let mainly positive vibes into my day. It's fine to get angry and DO something, but don't just be angry to no purpose.

And if you don't like the weather, you can move. It may seem insurmountable to find a job somewhere else, uproot your family, and do it, but trust me, it can be done. I've done it 28 times in my life and several of those moves were across country.

Just face it with the right attitude, and you'll be amazed what a difference it makes in your day.

J L
(new book! Resorts is out on Amazon! Check it out ☺It's a summer book. It will make you feel all warm and cozy!)


4 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Another Midwesterner here. It's climbing toward freezing today and I'm thrilled! Heat wave! Drove on bare pavement for a short time yesterday. Seemed strange. Thanks for the cover shot, JL. Sooo needed that.

Jannine Gallant said...

There's no point in living your life somewhere you aren't happy. I've only moved a handful of times, but it was always a move in the right direction.

Alicia Dean said...

So true, JL. I personally love the cold weather, and even though I need to accept things, I will be whining for sure when it's over 100 degrees here in Oklahoma! :) Congrats on the fantastic book!

Diane Burton said...

Attitude is everything. I've lived in the Midwest all my life. Love the seasons--and winter is only one of them.