Saturday, February 8, 2014

Movies: Love 'em, Hate 'em by Diane Burton



I love movies. Almost as much as I love reading. Give me a rousing action-adventure or a laugh out loud romantic comedy or, better yet, an action-adventure with romantic comedy. Knight and Day (Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz) fits that last category. Bruce Willis’ Die Hard movies combine action adventure with a lot of humor. Fantasy and science fiction movies with humor and/or romance also appeal. Star Wars, Star Trek. I love being swept away into another dimension with likeable characters.

I won’t go so far as saying I hate serious drama, I’m just not a fan. While I can appreciate the talent that goes into making films like Lincoln or Schindler’s List, they aren’t on my “watch again” list. When The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey came to the theater, I wanted to see it. Hubs (who isn’t into fantasy but often indulges me) said he couldn’t sit through a 2 hour, 50 minute movie. So what did we see instead? Lincoln (2 hours and 40 minutes). Great performances by Daniel Day Lewis, Tommy Lee Jones, and Sally Field, but for me, the movie dragged.

One of the things I hate about the Oscars is the lack of recognition for comedy. The quote “Dying is easy. Comedy is hard.” has been attributed to various actors. That’s not as important as the quote itself. Comedy takes perfect timing and the right touch. It can’t be too heavy-handed (like some of the James Bond movies). I love sparkling wit, as in movies like It Happened One Night and All About Eve (both of which won the Oscar for best picture, by the way). Why is it that back in the “olden days” of the 30s and 50s, comedy was recognized and now it’s not?

My taste in movies is about the same as my taste in books. I'm not a fan of literary fiction, either. So I probably won’t see most of the Oscar nominees. But I will continue to enjoy my action-adventure-romantic-comedy-scifi-thrillers.

11 comments:

Leah St. James said...

I am so with you, Diane! I go to movies and read books for escape and entertainment. I remember going to see Summersby years ago with my sister. I figured it was a love story, it had Richard Gere...what's not to like? Wish I'd read what it was about first. We left the theater with red eyes and noses, blotchy, tear-streaked faces, and feeling severely depressed. And we paid to feel that way! (I'm pretty sure we headed to a diner to gorge on something sweet and fat for comfort.) Give me something to laugh about, to take me away from my troubles. I read the newspaper and watch news for the sad stuff.

Stephie Smith said...

I feel exactly the same. Everything goes better with humor. I usually skip the dramas unless I know for sure that there is comedy there too. I want to walk away from a movie smiling. And that also goes for books.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Love the feel goods, hate the downers. Someone once said if we didn't have the bad , we wouldn't 't recognize and appreciate the good

Margo Hoornstra said...

The above sent from my phone.

Lucy Naylor Kubash said...

I like to leave the theater feeling good or at least content that all ended well. Same reason I read. Last movie I saw at the theater was Dallas Buyers Club. Not my first choice; they had changed the time of the movie we went to see (Nebraska), so we just picked that one. It was pretty rough but well-acted. Like I said, not a movie I would normally choose but it did leave you with a better understanding of the subject. But a nice romantic comedy is more my thing!

Jannine Gallant said...

Yep, yep, yep. I'm not big on depressing--either in movies or books. After all, don't we go to the movies to have fun?

Alicia Dean said...

I love, love, love comedies. I love chick flicks and romantic comedies. And action, thriller, etc. But, I'll admit, I also love drama, love sad movies. (Although I don't care for the literary, slow, 'meaningful' films that usually win Oscars) I love sad movies like The Notebook and Imitation of Life. The thing is, yes, they're depressing, but they pull you in and stir your emotions and capture you and you can purge by crying, then go back to your life and think, hmmm, things aren't so bad. :)

Barbara Edwards said...

I go to the movies to find happy endings. For a number of years I only saw Disney movies because I could be sure it would end well.

Diane Burton said...

Wow, I can't believe how similar our tastes are. I agree with Leah (and the rest of you said mostly the same) that we have the newspaper and news reports for the bad stuff. I don't mind a good tear-jerker if it has a satisfying ending. I want to feel good when I leave the theater. Thanks for chiming in, guys.

Unknown said...

Romantic comedies are my movie type of choice. I don't spend much time watching TV or going to the movies so when I do, I want to walk away with a good feeling.

Diane Burton said...

Me, too, Maria.