Friday, February 21, 2014

Cabin Fever by Barbara Edwards


Winter is taking its toll. I’m not only bored by the long days inside, I’m depressed and logy. And I’m in Florida, missing the fifty inches of snow piled in my yard, the repeating storms and bad roads, the shut-in feeling when the night falls at four pm.
We’ve had our bad weather here in the Panhandle. It snowed twenty miles North an event that occurs every thirty or forty years. Rain has preceded every storm in Georgia, South Carolina, on up. Heavy rain that keeps me inside and makes the internet connection act like a drunken butterfly.
In between the storms has been an unbelievably thick fog. If you remember the horror movie, “The Fog,” then you have a good idea what it’s been like taking the dog for his necessary walk.
The isolation has drained any energy from my muse. I want to sleep late, go to bed early and eat comfort foods. I know that sounds familiar. Ah, hot tea, popcorn, chocolate, I could go on for hours.
When I spent the winters in Connecticut I had a few tricks to get
me through the draggy days. I had a fish tank with a grow light under the hood. Surprisingly, watching the little guys dart around made me smile. A mood enhancer. I graduated to several potted plants under a grow light. I set it on a timer to glow twelve hours a day and put it next to my desk. Seeing tiny shoots of green grow helped to remind me that spring was around the corner.
This too shall pass.

Make my day. Please follow, friend or like me. I love to hear from my readers.
Amazon Author’s Page http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003F6ZK1A
Facebook like page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Barbara-Edwards/7404155889            Google+ https://plus.google.com/u/0/102148715888439595783/posts


10 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

The good news is most of our snow up here is melting. The bad news more coming next week. Ah Spring. Where the heck are you?

Alicia Dean said...

Those pics are beautiful! I love snow and fog and rain. :)

Jannine Gallant said...

Our yard looks like spring. Bare ground in February when there should be 6 ft. of snow! I'm out in the woods in tennis shoes instead of snowshoes. This has to be the weirdest winter ever!

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Margo,
My kids don't even want me to ask when I call. Sigh. Its melting there, too.

Barbara Edwards said...

I like changes in the weather, just not getting stuck in a loop. Spring is coming,spring is coming, spring is coming...

Barbara Edwards said...

Gee Janinne,
Celebrate, I would. The only thing cold and snow is good for is killing bugs.

Diane Burton said...

This has been the winter that everyone wants to forget. Sheesh. I sure hope spring is coming.

Leah St. James said...

"This too shall pass" is one of my favorite (and often-used) expressions! I'm digging into the comfort food myself these days, Barbara.

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Diane,
Soon. very soon. I'm looking into my crystal ball. Soon

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Leah,
Some expression never grow old. I have a craving for chocolate chip cookies and the sun is out. hmmmm