Sunday, February 16, 2014

No Time For Hate

by Jena Galifany

Hate is an emotion I'd rather not think about. The negativity can destroy lives. I have better things to do with my life than think about hating someone or something. Even in my writing, I've not focused on the hate emotion. It is there but I don't focus on it.

In ShadowsForge 1: Three Times a Hero, Alexis is running from her abusive boy friend. She's scared and trying to be brave about her situation but focuses on the new man in her life, Ty Synclair.

In ShadowsForge 2: Trials on Tour, there is a hater. He wants the band dead because his woman was with one of the band members. I focused more on his inability to fulfill his purpose.

In ShadowsForge 3: Retaking America, there is a conflict between two of the band members over an obvious issue: a woman. I focused on the competition.

In ShadowsForge 4: The Long Way Home, we find out about Brian's history and conflict in his teen years due to hate. The story shows how much a bad history can make a mess of a current situation.

Shyanne's Secret has a case of hate that costs a man his life, so to speak. (I don't want to spoil the story). Most of the story is about the recovery of the girl who lost her mind due to her father's hate.

Okay, so I guess I have spend some time with the hate factor. But, how can we know the joy of love without knowing the pain of hate? It is relative. (Thank you, Mr. Einstein.)

I must confess, I hate inactivity. I hate writer's block. I hate waiting for something to get done and usually jump in and do it myself, just so it is finished. I hate a lack of writing time when I have a new story knocking around in my brain. I also hate the fact that I let my group down by forgetting to post last month. =(  Sorry!

I feel better now. I can go on and live my life without hate...unless it needs to rear its ugly head in a new novel. I guess that would be alright.

For more information and excerpts from the ShadowsForge Series and Shyanne's Secret, stop by Whiskey Creek Press and read the first chapter of each book for free.

Hope your Valentine's Day was wonderful. I know mine was.

Cheers,
Jena


6 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Jena, Love (ahem) your perspective. Hate is so counterproductive. Unless, of course for the good guys overcoming the baddies.

Jannine Gallant said...

Sounds like your attitude is positive and healthy. In the interest of positivity--have a great day, everyone!

Alicia Dean said...

Interesting take. Hate can take its toll in real life, but in a story, it does make for interesting conflict. Your books sound great!

Romance Can Be Murder said...

It's funny how in Real Life we seek drama by using such extreme adjectives: eg I hate broccoli, when it's really just a food I don't like; I'm depressed, when really I'm just feeling a bit blue because of some minor setback. I think what my poor,sleep deprived brain is trying to say is that we use these dramatic statements all the time although they are really not correct.
Yet in our writing these extremes are the seasoning in the story. We need our characters to feel extreme emotions. In fact, they make the story - lovers who cannot live without one another; villains who choose the most violent and evil way to resolve situations....when in Real Life people just pick themselves off, lick their wounds and go on.
But where's the story in that :-)
Hope that makes sense, because right now I hate winter and I'm dying for a cup of coffee....

JenaGalifany said...

Thank you all for your comments. Glenys, what you said is so true. I have another "I hate..." to add. I hate this cold that has had me down all day. I think that is a valid hate. Have a lovely day and keep warm.

Leah St. James said...

I must admit to be one of those who writes dark, evil bad guys. Yet I don't hate them. I try to find a glimmer of something in them to admire, if not like. On the other hand, they always get their due in my books! Aside from writing those characters, I'm with you, life is too short to focus on hate.