Sunday, February 23, 2014

A Lot To Love, Plenty To Hate by Margo Hoornstra





I live in the upper Midwest. As I write this it's snowing - again - still - forever, it seems. Near white out conditions in fact.


According to those who know such things, we are already way above our usual snowfall totals for an entire year. With much more to come before Spring.


If that furry little guy from Pennsylvania is to be believed. 


I'm beginning to HATE Winter. Which is odd for me since usually I LOVE Winter. Gliding and spinning on razor sharp ice skates. The swoosh, swoosh rhythm of cross country skis.


By its Nature - pun intended - Winter begs to be described.



 
A blast of Arctic air rolling into the streets.


The first breath on an icy morning, nostrils flash frozen.


Frigid air crackles, snow creaks underfoot.


Freezing rain traps trees and bushes in tombs of ice.

Fingers gone numb.


Wind pelting, eyes watering.    







 
Slick roads. Cars slide sideways.


Iced over puddles.




Mittens, scarves, hats and boots.


Warm lips kiss a chilled cheek.


Engine heated air flows into a newly started car.


Seasoned wood sizzling in the grate.


Extra blankets on the bed.


A loved one snuggled close.




Okay, so maybe Winter does offer some instances to LOVE.


Relatives in Arizona brag about abundant sunshine, temperatures in the eighties.


Oh, good. Something else to HATE. Not them, of course, just when they do that.


Happy Spring, Everyone! Eventually!


Margo


My days to blog here are the 11th and 23th. Please check out my WEBSITE


Two of my latest titles, Only If You Dare and Night Stars and Mourning Doves have recently been released from the DEARLY BELOVED series.





These novellas, along with some short stories there for free, are available on my AUTHOR PAGE at The Wild Rose Press.

11 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

Love your images. Maybe one of these days winter will end for you!

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Margo, Did you know in the 1880s there was a summer that didn't get warm---
Yikes, it was after Krakatoa erupted and circled the globe with dust.
So it could be worse. I saw green shoots this morning.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Jannine. Says the lady who once accused me of hogging all the snow. LOL. The sun is out today! Yea!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Barbara. I did not know that. Double Yikes! We did have a winter here once when we were wearing shorts and short sleeves in December. Once! Our green shoots haven't arrived yet. Soon!

Leah St. James said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leah St. James said...

I remember both the coldest and the hottest, Margo and Barbara. I figure just don't mess with Mother Nature, and don't even try to figure her out! :-) I do hope it warms up for you soon. I'm in southeastern Virginia and complaining about our unusually cold winter, which was nothing like yours.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Leah. It's all relative. Each year brings something different. Some we look forward to, some not.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Oops. Forgot, Jannine. Glad you like my clipart. Picked it out myself.

Diane Burton said...

Fun post, Margo. Remember last March where it got into the 80s? March isn't that far off. :)

Margo Hoornstra said...

Ooohhhh. That's right! Not too long now and we'll be able to complain about the heat! LOL,

Alicia Dean said...

I wish I could get enough snow to get tired of it! I'm also a winter-lover, and here in Oklahoma, we get some, but not enough for me. Enjoyed your imagery. Stay warm and hang in there!