Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pride, Service, and Karma - How Do They Figure Into Our Lives?

Laura Breck
I believe in Karma. It's that intangible force that brings good things to us when we live our lives in positive, helpful ways. When we do bad things, watch out! Karma brings bad things back. And when we forget why we're doing good things, Karma will send us a reminder to curb that non-altruistic pride.

I once read that true generosity is the quality of helping others without expecting anything in return. I try to live by that motto every day. When my writers' group, Midwest Fiction Writers, a chapter of the Romance Writers of America, put out a call for someone to organize and publish a fundraising anthology to benefit the chapter, I knew this was something I could do to give back to the organization that has helped me become the writer I am today.

The anthology project has been a long, time-consuming challenge, and an experience I am glad I chose to participate in. The seventeen-story anthology, Love in the Land of Lakes is in the last few weeks of production, and will be published in digital format and paperback by the end of January (keeping my fingers crossed.) For more information, and to sign up for the mailing list, please click here.
 
Remember what I said about helping others without expecting anything in return? Earlier this month, our 2012 chapter awards were given at our monthly meeting. I was surprised and honored to receive the MFW Chapter Service Award for my work on the anthology.

The trophy is lovely, even though it is difficult to photograph, but I tried my best.


I showed it off to my family, told my friends about it, and was thinking of posting it on Facebook, when Karma did its thing to curb my pride. When the e-mail went out to all members of my writers' group announcing the 2012 award winners, my name was not on the list.

Bazinga, as Sheldon Cooper would say. A very humbling reality check for me. It served well to remind me why I had donated my time to organize the anthology. Not for the reward of a trophy, and not for bragging rights, but for the joy of giving of myself and the opportunity to help where I was needed. Lesson learned!

Working with sixteen fabulous authors, one incredible cover artist, two amazing editors, and a whole slew of talented beta readers - all volunteering their time - I realized how lucky I am to be a part of this project. All these people donated their time and talents to make the anthology the professional and creative book that it is. Thanks, Karma, for sending this opportunity my way!
All my best,
Laura
~Smart Women ~Sexy Men ~Seductive Romance
LauraBreck.com
Dancing in a Hurricane is available in digital and paperback formats at Amazon and in paperback at Createspace

6 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Great post, Laura. I'm another true believer in Karma. Congratulations on your award and your work on the anthology. One for my TBR list for sure.

Jannine Gallant said...

Congrats, Laura! I can attest to the fact that you give generously to this group, as well. You're piling up the Karma points!

Alison Henderson said...

The award was well-deserved! I know how much work you put into this, and I'm glad I was at the meeting for the announcement. Thanks from all of us at MFW.

Laura Breck said...

Thank you, Margo. It's amazing what Karma can do for you, isn't it?

I appreciate that, Jannine. It's a fun group of Roses, and always a pleasure to work with you all.

Hey, Alison, you'll have to tell me what my face looked like when they announced it at the meeting - I think I was in shock! Thank YOU for all your help on the anthology. Your beta reading skills are amazing!

Barbara Edwards said...

You never know how the effort you put out will return, just that it will. You're due for a fabulous year.

Laura Breck said...

LOL Yay, Barbara! That's what I like to hear. Thanks! You're always so positive. Love it!