Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Give Me Turbulence by Brenda Whiteside

NEW BEGINNINGS! I love to write about new beginnings, and I'm currently in the middle of a new beginning. The title at the top of my web site is Discover Yourself. My blog is also called Discover Yourself. Some people prefer finding a niche and remaining there forever. I've always found myself on the move both personally and professionally - always discovering. If you've read my books, you'll see my heroines and some of my heroes are still discovering their ways, even those who are forty and fifty somethings.

Technically, all of my new beginnings started in 2012, but some starts take longer.

On a personal level, my husband retired and we moved to a small farm on a prairie in Arizona. We're city folk. Or were. By combining households with my son and his wife, we took on farming. My son is the major farmer, but Frank and I did get our hands dirty. I split my time between farming and writing. Part way into this experiment, I began blogging about our adventure and will continue to do so this year. We're expanding. We grew enough to fill our freezer and shelves with plenty leftover for the local food bank and family. This year we will go at it on a more commercial basis although still organic and natural.

Another new beginning that started last year is my first ever grandchild. Sadie Belladonna's expected Earth entry day is February 22. This is a new beginning that will impact our entire household. I'm excited beyond belief to have a grandchild. How that works out living under the same roof remains to be seen. Chuckle here.

On a professional level, I signed with an agent last year. Until now, I've been published by small houses that are approachable directly by an author. I've been very happy with The Wild Rose Press and Melange, but because of their size, certain results of being published are not readily available for my books. For one, readers cannot walk into a bookstore and buy my book because they are lured by the way it looks on the shelf. The store can order it for you, but if you don't know me...well, the obvious. By signing with an agent, the big New York publishers will give my book a look. That new beginning was stalled by Hurricane Sandy and then the holidays. Arghhhh!! So, this year could be the start of the start. Remains to be seen.

All and all, 2013 is going to be a year of changes and beginnings. Am I nervous? Nope. I love this kind of turbulence!


Visit Brenda at www.brendawhiteside.com.
She blogs on the 9th and 24th of every month at http://rosesofprose.blogspot.com
She blogs about prairie life and writing at http://brendawhiteside.blogspot.com/


6 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Very motivational post, Brenda. Retirement is just the beginning! And grandchildren are the best! Here's to a fantastic 2013.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Thanks, Margo. And the same wish for you!

Jannine Gallant said...

Hadn't thought about Hurricane Sandy disrupting the publishing market! Let's hope you're back on track with that soon. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your grandbaby next month. How exciting for you!

Brenda Whiteside said...

So I've got permission to bore you all with new granddaughter pictures! LOL

Alison Henderson said...

It's so exciting about your granddaughter! My sister's birthday is Feb. 22nd, and she turned out great. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your agent's efforts on your behalf this year. 2013 is going to be memorable, no doubt!

Brenda Whiteside said...

Thanks, Alison. It will be fun is she comes on the 22nd (Washington's birthday) because my son, her daddy, was born on Lincoln's birthday!