Friday, January 11, 2013

Here's to New Beginnings Both the New Kind and the Old by Margo Hoornstra


By now most of my fellow Roses of Prose members have had their chance to wish everyone a very Happy New Year. Now it’s my turn to add best wishes for a fabulous 2013.

But as we enter this classic time of new beginnings I for one, don’t want to give up on everything that has gone before.

Let me explain.

On the morning of New Year’s Eve, I mixed an old activity with a new one. I went for a walk on my usual route wearing a brand new pair of shoes.

Over the years, I’ve run, jogged and or walked a substantial number of miles. So I was used to that part of this endeavor. It was the shoes that didn’t exactly work out as I expected being that they are maximum duty hikers, more rigid and heavier than what I usually wear.

What my brain hadn’t thought through—the consequences of possibly throwing off my natural gait—my body certainly realized without question. And after only a short two mile jaunt at that.

In deference to a right hip joint, the knee joint on that same side and thigh muscles on both legs that screamed for mercy, for the New Year’s Day five miles, I donned the old tried and true shoes that had been with me since June.

Not that those new shoes won’t have a definite place in my future as I rack up the miles in 2013. But only after I’ve had a chance to properly break them in.

Like when they’ve become a little less new and a little more, well, old.

And one final note on new beginnings and futures.

As I write this, my husband is preparing to gut and then redo our upstairs bathroom. (Prayers and or positive thoughts are welcome!)

On the up side, this new project will no doubt provide at least one topic for future posts of mine. If not in time for Share the Love in February, certainly by the following month’s theme.

What Does March Madness Mean To You?

Happy New Year, Everyone!

15 comments:

Diane Burton said...

I like your take on mixing the new with the old. Good luck with the remodel. Been there, done that. Prayers for your sanity. LOL

Barbara Edwards said...

Good luck with the remodel. Nice start to the new year.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Hi Diane,

There is value to the old stuff. Us included. Oh, ouch! Can't believe I just said that. You know what I mean, right?

Margo Hoornstra said...

Barbara,

Here's hoping, huh? (I've had the paint for about a year now.) Hear what I'm saying?

Alison Henderson said...

Margo, my husband has gutted and remodeled both our bathrooms (not at the same time, thank heaven!). I'm glad I was still working and not home when he jackhammered up the old mortar bed, fell through the floor, etc. Here's hoping for smooth sailing for your project! On a positive note, our bathrooms both turned out fantastic.

Jannine Gallant said...

My fingers are crossed for you on the bathroom project! Best of luck with this and all your writing endeavors in the new year!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Alison,

So glad your bathrooms, and you, are doing fine. Laughed out loud at the fell through the floor comment. I think we may be married to twins. I'll keep you posted. EEK. Just had a thought. I'm going to be home the whole time.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Jannine,

Keep those fingers for me as long as humanly possible, please. I'm gonna need it. I'm taking your best of luck wishes to mean keep at it! Same back to you.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Fingers crossed. But you all knew that, right?

Debra St. John said...

Ah, breaking in anything new takes time, doesn't it?

Good luck with the remodel...we've pretty much done our whole house at this point (We have only one room left to go.) and I know a lot of blood, sweat, and tears goes into every project! Literally.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Debra,

Blood, sweat and tears. Very descriptive. I love it!! Thanks for the good wishes.

Lucy Naylor Kubash said...

Hope the remodel doesn't drive you to madness! But the project should keep him busy, right? Take care and take it easy breaking in those new shoes.

Wild Women Authors said...

just think--if anything 'untoward' happens, you could use it in a book. If only for the inventive curses which are bound to fall from someone's lips, right?
best of luck
kathy

Margo Hoornstra said...

Lucy,

We'll know for sure in March! So far the molding is off. Did I mention I've had the paint for that room for over a year now?

Margo Hoornstra said...

Kathy,

I've already used some of the aforementioned 'untowards' in one book, eh? When I read your comment out loud, hubby's reply. "She knows you pretty well, huh?" Hmmm.