Monday, January 7, 2013

Idle hands make mischief by Barbara Edwards

Feeling out of sorts

With all the bustle of the Holidays smashed by a nasty virus that lasted almost a week, I’ve been idle. This is scary. I’m always busy. Either working, finishing, starting or just planning my next move is the way I live. I like being busy.
Being ill forced me to stop. I was quarantined for five days with the nurovirus.
The TV only offered limited channels that quickly bored me to death.
I did have my kindle and a number of the wonderful ebooks offered free by many of my friends. Only I had a headache.
I slept the first couple days. I looked outside. I threw up often.
I sat and wished to be better. I spent time being angry and upset that my valuable days had been ruined by a germ.
I tried typing and found my hands so shaky the words were unreadable.
So I stopped. Does this make sense? I stopped. Not so simple for a type A personality.
I looked at my unpainted fingernails.
I took a long soak in the tub.
I fluffed the pillows and sat under the covers.
I sent my husband out. I hope that makes you laugh. I wanted to help make me better and drove me crazy with his fussing.
I hugged the quiet like a fluffy teddy bear.
I let my thoughts roam like butterflies searching a meadow.
Somehow all of this has turned out to be a good thing.
I am rested.
Although I didn’t aim for it, I lost five pounds.
I have the end of my book firmly plotted.
I didn’t make any New Year’s Resolutions and find the lack freeing. I don’t need to think about my eating habits, my exercise routine or my writing habits.
And I won’t have to feel guilty over failing to keep them.
Maybe I’ve discovered a new way to begin the year. Or maybe not.

After the long days
Visit www.barbaraedwards.net for excerpts from my books, free reads and links to my blog, Facebook page and Twitter.

Have a Happy and Healthy New Year.

7 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Barbara,

I so enjoyed reading this post. As one who was also 'smashed' by three separate viruses recently-one which still lingers-I can really relate! Isn't it great how much work we Type A people can get done when we're DOWN?

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Margo,
Hope the new year means a return to good health for you. and I was surprised.

Jannine Gallant said...

Hope you're back on your feet! Being sick sucks (that's the best word I can think of to describe it LOL)but it does give you time to simply think. Sometimes "think time" is necessary and can be productive as well.

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Jannine,
I'm better, thanks.

Alison Henderson said...

Oh, Barbara, what an awful experience! My husband and I had the norovirus simultaneously a few years ago, and we thought we were goners for sure. Absolutely miserable! I'm so glad you're feeling better.

Christine DePetrillo said...

Glad you're feeling better!

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Alison,
Not something I want to repeat either.