Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Take a Walk on the Wild Side by Jannine Gallant

snow plants
What do you do when your brain is mush and your muse is on an extended vacation? When I'm certain every word I write is just so much drivel, or I stare at the blank computer screen and my mind is--well, blank, I get my butt out of the chair and take a hike with my dog.

lupine
I consider myself blessed because I can walk out my door and straight into the woods where I can go for miles if I want. Usually, Ginger and I do a three mile loop to the creek and back. This time of year, the woods around Lake Tahoe are bursting with color.

mule's ear
Wild flowers take my breath away and reactivate my spongy brain. First come the snow plants, poking their heads out of the ground shortly after the last of the snow melts. Next thing I know, lupine is everywhere. When the mule's ear and paintbrush bloom, I know it's truly summer.

paintbrush
Ginger and I finish our walk through the meadow. Until this year, we had to avoid the meadow until it dried out, usually late in June, but last year the California State Parks system put in raised trails. Very cool to get to stroll through the meadow while it's still green and beautiful and a host to bunches of little flowers, camas lilies, buttercups and others I can't name.

little yellow flowers (I fail as a botonist!)
So, the next time you're having a major case of writer's block, try taking a walk. I swear your muse will pack up her sunscreen and beach chair and come join you. I composed this whole blog while I was out in the woods today. Tomorrow, I'll figure out where my WIP is headed, or I won't come home until I do. So if I'm not here on the 18th, you'll know why. LOL

Ginger in the meadow
Find links and blurbs for all my books (inspired by nature's beauty) on my website. Or follow me on Facebook or Twitter. Happy summer!



17 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Very impressive that you know those plants and flowers by name. Hope the muse returned to the laptop with you.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Well, most of them anyway!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Jannine, I'm glad to know the name of the plant-Mule's Ear. Perfect name for it! Excellent exercise routine for you and Ginger...to get the blood flowing nicely. I find that writing on my boat is a constant source of inspiration. Whether I'm watching the comings and goings at a marina or tucked into a cove on the hook, the scene charges me up. But I MUST add the exercise part...I bought a little peddler this year...I HAVE to use it daily!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

While I love flowers, for me, it's the birdsong. I could listen to birds all day as they happily chirp from their branch of choice. Being out in the woods is a special treat.

Jannine Gallant said...

Margo, those are the ONLY ones I know. Why do you think I took those pictures? LOL

Jannine Gallant said...

Rolynn, I work at a boat ramp on Lake Tahoe in the summer. The people watching (especially around the 4th) is definitely inspirational - especially if you want a few crazies in your next book! I can see where the exercise part could be a challenge living on a boat. The peddler sounds fun.

Jannine Gallant said...

Vonnie, I've got the windows and doors open, and the blue jays are squawking up a storm outside. Yesterday a raven swooped so low over our head it made Ginger jump. Apparently birds are only fun to bark at if they stay up in a tree. LOL Yep, I couldn't survive without my woods.

Ashantay said...

You have a beautiful place to walk! The yellow flowers look a bit like primroses, but are lovely even without a tag. :>)

Ashantay Peters

Alison Henderson said...

Your woods are so inspiring, Jannine. Maybe next spring Hubby and I can drive up to Tahoe. I find inspiration in nature too and am enjoying exploring the beauty of our new surroundings.

Jannine Gallant said...

Ashantay, I'm not sure what they are. I even looked the yellow ones up in a wildflower book, and still couldn't figure it out. Thanks for stopping by.

Jannine Gallant said...

Alison, spring lasts about 3 weeks in Tahoe between the last snow storm and the beginning of the summer season. We should have a Rose of Prose gathering up here in the summer. Not too hot, usually, and oh so beautiful! Carmel would be good, too. Absolutely gorgeous along the CA coast.

Diane Burton said...

Great post, Jannine. What a wonderful place to walk. It must be so inspiring.

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks, Diane. It keeps this mountain girl happy!

Anonymous said...

Jannine -- AWESOME pictures! I am so jeoulous! Miss you! Surprised you didn't do a birthday blog earlier this month ;-)

Jannine Gallant said...

Yep, I snapped away until I got a few I liked. As for the b-day, nothing to blog about there!

Barbara Edwards said...

Good advice. I love walking, especially in the woods.

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks, Barbara. Walking in the woods is definitely my thing!